the biffer

New KK23 owner

Scrap the dolly, it won't work unless the kk is still on the pallet, and like I said, still not happening. Just use the plywood and roll the kk on its own, it actually rolls fairly easily. Assuming no step ups or downs, you can probably do this yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buffer - like 5698k, Rob, says, forget about the dolly.  It will die a swift and bloody death.  The castors on the KK are more than sufficient to move it provided you have good ply wood under it.  I moved my KK BB 32" on oriented strand board, (OSB) it too comes in sheets like plywood, just by leapfrogging. 

I enlisted the help of 2 friends.  They rodeoed the OSB and I muscled the KK BB around.  I really urge you to enlist the help of friends for this, especially if you have any elevation changes from front to back or side to side on the proposed route.  These KKs are heavy beasts and Newton was right about moving mass ... it wants to go in a straight line once moving.  Trying to stop the mass you'll be moving can be a chore, and if the KK slips off the plywood, you're well and truly screwed!   Please, do yourself a favor and get some help.  A 12er of beer, a couple of steaks, some spuds, etc. and you'll have all kinds of help.  Many hands make light the labor.  

I'd be there to help, but I'm told I'm planting a garden this afternoon! :banghead:

Welcome, and congrats on the grill! I have a KK 23†and love it.

I was lucky in that the truck driver was able to drop the crate on my backyard patio using the skid moving device that he had. We do have a walkway that he used. I agree with everyone who has said to leapfrog with two good sheets of plywood to get the crate into your backyard.

The good news is that once the crate is back there, uncrating and setting up is a one person job for the most part, with the exception of rolling the grill off the skid down the ramp. I did it myself, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Did it! All by myself and I hope I never have to face that again-uncrating was a snap, after staring at it on the platform I tried to best analyze how I will get it off its stand using the dolly or better yet I have a small hydaulic jack on rollers presented more than a challenge. Push come to shove I muscled it off onto its feet and saw it can be sort of easily pushed but wound up doing the leap frog method as suggested (thank you for that). I have documented every step of the move on camera for all to see once posted. I even thought it may be able to go through my front door as there is plenty of width but the step up wasn't possible attempting it on my own. All I have were two wooden boards barely wide enough but it had to do. Of course the sky opened up and battled through a thunderstorm but both the KK and myself did well. It is all snuggled and placed in the corner deck with a perfect fit. Once the plastic and cardboard was all ripped off it revealed its true beauty! When I finally opened her up the hardware was amazing and HEAVY...wow. I guess Dennis doesn't include an operating manual but with the member's help on the forum and videos I will see what goes where. Of course when the initial burn-is done and ready for the virgin cook I will be taking pictures as well. Stay tuned......

• Like 1

Well, now that you've moved it, I'll tell you that the top of the crate is also a ramp for rolling the grill off the base, I though that was in the new owner guide.

Love the bronze! Get everything unpacked, and get ready, you've bought the finest charcoal cooking device available. When you're ready for the hi heat burn, have some time, and adult beverage if you care to. You can cook during this process, but I see it as an introduction between you and your grill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biffer - beautiful bronze KK. Gorgeous! Beautiful choice. Send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the Owner's Manual. In the mean time, you might check your email. Dennis generally sends the Owner's Manual before your KK is on the last leg of its journey.

Rob is right. This 500°F burn for about 3-4 hours is a great time to just sit, enjoy looking at your KK, and sip on a couple tall cool ones.

Congrats on getting your KK in its new home amd congrats on joining the KK Family!

biffer, it looks awesome, love that colour. I've been waiting all day to see what it looks like and now I know, it's a beauty :hello1:  :smt045  :smt023  :smt023

What's going on in the Maritimes? Are you in Halifax? I am transplant from Toronto living here in Ft.Lauderdale.....do you already own a KK or waiting for delivery?

Very nice indeed. Love the moving pictures. I thought you were brave leaving it unattended while you took the pictures.

Great job, can't wait to see more pictures.

It's not that I am worried someone will steal it, where I live next to a canal in Florida there are the odd alligators hanging around on the dock and contrary to what you hear about them being slow.....they have blazing speed!

Buffer - like 5698k, Rob, says, forget about the dolly.  It will die a swift and bloody death.  The castors on the KK are more than sufficient to move it provided you have good ply wood under it.  I moved my KK BB 32" on oriented strand board, (OSB) it too comes in sheets like plywood, just by leapfrogging. 

I enlisted the help of 2 friends.  They rodeoed the OSB and I muscled the KK BB around.  I really urge you to enlist the help of friends for this, especially if you have any elevation changes from front to back or side to side on the proposed route.  These KKs are heavy beasts and Newton was right about moving mass ... it wants to go in a straight line once moving.  Trying to stop the mass you'll be moving can be a chore, and if the KK slips off the plywood, you're well and truly screwed!   Please, do yourself a favor and get some help.  A 12er of beer, a couple of steaks, some spuds, etc. and you'll have all kinds of help.  Many hands make light the labor.  

I'd be there to help, but I'm told I'm planting a garden this afternoon! :banghead:

After this day of moving the KK I cannot fathom what you had to go through with the 32! At almost sixty years old and solo I cannot believeI moved this thing on my own. In actuality the 23 is WAY bigger than I will ever need.

It's not that I am worried someone will steal it, where I live next to a canal in Florida there are the odd alligators hanging around on the dock and contrary to what you hear about them being slow.....they have blazing speed!

I would have been worried that it started to roll and you couldn't stop it before it went off the wooden plank.

Biffer - beautiful bronze KK. Gorgeous! Beautiful choice. Send me a PM and I'll send you a copy of the Owner's Manual. In the mean time, you might check your email. Dennis generally sends the Owner's Manual before your KK is on the last leg of its journey.

Rob is right. This 500°F burn for about 3-4 hours is a great time to just sit, enjoy looking at your KK, and sip on a couple tall cool ones.

Congrats on getting your KK in its new home amd congrats on joining the KK Family!

Thank you! Sipping some tall cool ones is something I can do very well.....and why not just watch it burn itself in and gloat? PM? Do you already have my email address? Thank you for the offer re: manual...it did not come with one that I could see but I can always ask Dennis to send it as he is a great guy. When I took out all the grills and accessories I noticed at the very bottom of the KK where the ash pan is there is one small deflector of some kind that fits into either one of the prongs coming from the vent drawers...should there be two that you know of?

Yes, I've been chatting with Dennis and hoping my KK will ship soon. Once it gets shipped I will reveal all ;) At least the snow is pretty well gone. We had a record breaking winter for snow fall.

A toast to spring and a long hot summer with plenty of KK time.