the biffer

New KK23 owner

After this day of moving the KK I cannot fathom what you had to go through with the 32! At almost sixty years old and solo I cannot believeI moved this thing on my own. In actuality the 23 is WAY bigger than I will ever need.

biffer - I enlisted a couple of stout hearted buddies, a couple of sheets of oriented strand board, and a couple of cases of beer! TheBeast and I got very well acquainted on that journey. As an engineer, I acquired a new appreciation for Newton and his laws.

Once TheBeast reached his slot on the patio, he agreed he'd not move again! LOL!

Congrats on the move and setup! Looks awesome. Can't wait for the pics of the virgin cook. Remember, you can cook during the break-in, while having those "tall cool ones!"

You can PM other members of the forum without needing their email addresses. At the very top of the page, above the Kamado logo, you'll see your forum name and next to that is an envelope - clic that. That's your internal mail/messages mailbox. You can send/receive messages there.

Apparently I have the newer draft door baffle instead of the ash screen in the firebox, still trying to figure it all out. Anyhow Dennis explained where it should go however I do not see anywhere how to cleanout the ashes although the manual states there is no reason to remove the charcoal basket. I'm not understanding exactly how it is done...help!!! Any explanation as to what the bottom of the firebox is supposed to be configured and if someone has a picture of it would be greatly appreciated. I am skeptical firing it up until I have completed my "checklist" rather than risking damage.

I can't see how to clean ashes without removing the charcoal basket. Personally, I use a shop vac with a drywall filter, take out the charcoal basket, and get ashes that way. I believe CC uses a small dust pan and sweeper, but he has a 32", which has more room. Pick what works for you, but I think the basket should come out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apparently I have the newer draft door baffle instead of the ash screen in the firebox, still trying to figure it all out. Anyhow Dennis explained where it should go however I do not see anywhere how to cleanout the ashes although the manual states there is no reason to remove the charcoal basket. I'm not understanding exactly how it is done...help!!! Any explanation as to what the bottom of the firebox is supposed to be configured and if someone has a picture of it would be greatly appreciated. I am skeptical firing it up until I have completed my "checklist" rather than risking damage.

Like I said, Dennis had made some enhancements since I got mine, so the manual might be dated. I upgraded from the screen to the baffle a year or so ago. Like it MUCH better.

Sounds like you might be confused between the charcoal basket (Metal) and the firebox (Ceramic). NEVER take out the firebox - those ceramic pieces wedged in the bottom where the metal charcoal basket sits.

I take the charcoal basket out all the time, as I own 2 - one for doing full baskets of charcoal and the second one has my basket splitter in it for doing smaller cooks where I don't want to burn through a lot of charcoal. Works great for searing a couple of steaks, as it forces all the air through half the surface area, so it gets super hot, super fast!

I also take the basket out to clean out the ashes. I just use a metal scoop and just reach down and scoop it out with that. 

Don't be afraid of asking more questions. That's what this forum is all about - plus sharing pictures of the amazing food that this grill can produce!!! 

On my 16.5" the entire bottom vent assembly slides in and out. I take the ash basket out, take the bottom vent assembly out then just sweep the ashes out the front of the vent assembly opening.

I thought that is how they all worked but then again I might not know what I'm talking about.

On my 16.5" the entire bottom vent assembly slides in and out. I take the ash basket out, take the bottom vent assembly out then just sweep the ashes out the front of the vent assembly opening.

I thought that is how they all worked but then again I might not know what I'm talking about.

Sounds like your's is very different from all the other sized KK's. Ash basket? Bottom Vent Assembly (implying more than one piece)?? A picture would be helpful ckreef. 

Sounds like your's is very different from all the other sized KK's. Ash basket? Bottom Vent Assembly (implying more than one piece)?? A picture would be helpful ckreef.

Sorry I meant lump basket.

Here is the bottom vent assembly.

58dcc307af338a54476738ab7162004b.jpg

It installs with the 2 rods going into the tubes. Allows you easily sweep the ashes out the front assembly opening. I just put a dust pan there to catch the ashes. Pictured is a 5" sweepie broom down in the belly.

e6781871479e943636a4abbce74dac80.jpg

This is the bottom vent assembly installed.

ad3a3d90c5533eaa8ccb1928f038204a.jpg

A totally awesome design. I remove that assembly every time to speed up the time to get the Komodo to temp.

Biffer you do have good taste that is one fine looking KK. I ordered the same one for myself. I was looking at yours and thinking I cant wait to get mine. I hope its not long till you get to fire yours up.

Regards to another fellow Torontonian! I am born and raised but now live in Florida (of course by choice). Why not have year round BBQ temperatures and max useage of the new KK....I think it will be a bit longer before I get into firing this sculpted masterpieceup at least for the burn-in. So when is yours due?

Like I said, Dennis had made some enhancements since I got mine, so the manual might be dated. I upgraded from the screen to the baffle a year or so ago. Like it MUCH better.

Sounds like you might be confused between the charcoal basket (Metal) and the firebox (Ceramic). NEVER take out the firebox - those ceramic pieces wedged in the bottom where the metal charcoal basket sits.

I take the charcoal basket out all the time, as I own 2 - one for doing full baskets of charcoal and the second one has my basket splitter in it for doing smaller cooks where I don't want to burn through a lot of charcoal. Works great for searing a couple of steaks, as it forces all the air through half the surface area, so it gets super hot, super fast!

I also take the basket out to clean out the ashes. I just use a metal scoop and just reach down and scoop it out with that. 

Don't be afraid of asking more questions. That's what this forum is all about - plus sharing pictures of the amazing food that this grill

Appreciate it and thanks!

Regards to another fellow Torontonian! I am born and raised but now live in Florida (of course by choice). Why not have year round BBQ temperatures and max useage of the new KK....I think it will be a bit longer before I get into firing this sculpted masterpieceup at least for the burn-in. So when is yours due?

I am expecting my KK by the end of May.

• Like 1

ckreef, thanks for the pictures. Clarified a lot. Your's is just like everybody else's. The only slight difference is in the Big Bad 32," who's vent door has 2 dials on it, but it slides on the rails/tubes just like ours.

That's good to know as I think it is a really great design.

Okay everyone...it's Sunday late afternoon and today is BURN IN BABY! As prepared as I can be I put enough charcoal in the basket and so far I am maintaining exactly 350 degrees with almost pinpoint accuracy. From what you have all suggested as well as the manual this is a good break-in temperature. I will let it go for several hours while enjoying an adult beverage. Just as a coincidence I happen to have a gi-normous ribeye ready to go on the grill for the "virgin cook", I'll see how it goes...don't want to push things. No worries, I have been documenting every step of the procedure with photos which will be posted in a bit.

Okay everyone...it's Sunday late afternoon and today is BURN IN BABY! As prepared as I can be I put enough charcoal in the basket and so far I am maintaining exactly 350 degrees with almost pinpoint accuracy. From what you have all suggested as well as the manual this is a good break-in temperature. I will let it go for several hours while enjoying an adult beverage. Just as a coincidence I happen to have a gi-normous ribeye ready to go on the grill for the "virgin cook", I'll see how it goes...don't want to push things. No worries, I have been documenting every step of the procedure with photos which will be posted in a bit.

I think you need to get it in the 475*-500* range for a few hours to properly off gas the groute.

You can go 375* all day long, every day with no worries but until you off gas the groute you haven't accomplished your brake in goal.