the biffer

New KK23 owner

You need to get it hotter. Let it stay there for an hour ish, then let it come up about 50° every thirty minutes. You really want to see 550°-600° for a period of time, it takes that to get the grill hot enough to cook the residual moisture. It'll have a chemical smell, that's normal.

Should you see fluid actually dripping from a spot, stop the grill from getting hotter, let it cook for about thirty minutes, then start shutting in down. As the grill cools, press the tiles where the fluid leaked into place, making sure they stay in place as the grill cools. You'll be set at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to get it hotter. Let it stay there for an hour ish, then let it come up about 50° every thirty minutes. You really want to see 550°-600° for a period of time, it takes that to get the grill hot enough to cook the residual moisture. It'll have a chemical smell, that's normal.

Should you see fluid actually dripping from a spot, stop the grill from getting hotter, let it cook for about thirty minutes, then start shutting in down. As the grill cools, press the tiles where the fluid leaked into place, making sure they stay in place as the grill cools. You'll be set at this point.

That is the plan on the next cook. Just cause I like doing things slow I am just happy to see the KK come to life with the "small" cool burn. What I have discovered thus far is how precise the temp control is! Upon your recommendation as well as the KK manual I will let the temp get up to the 550 degree range and vent the solvent in order to cure it. Over an approximately two hour burn I will increase the temp in 50 degree segements every hour up to around 660 degrees. As stated will I actually smell the off gassing and see bubbling?

I had the smell, but no tiles bubbled up on my burn in, just a couple of spots of white residue. YMMV.

Just don't freak out, it's normal and no harm is being done to your new baby! 

Okay.....I am one of those doting types and think it may feel pain!

Kinda like drivin a Ferrari 55 MPH.

I have had that experience as well...hard to keep the 12 cylinder prancing horsies under 100...all you wanna do is bury the needle. Today is a miserable rainy day here and I just may fire up the KK to initiate the "hot burn".

I have had that experience as well...hard to keep the 12 cylinder prancing horsies under 100...all you wanna do is bury the needle. Today is a miserable rainy day here and I just may fire up the KK to initiate the "hot burn".

Have fun with the burn-in! Remember that the burn-in is hot dadgummed work. Make certain to stay well hydrated with the adult beverage of your choice!

Also, what great about the burn-in is that you have a KK that is really heat soaked! Try searing some steaks, maybe do a pizza cook, etc. anything that you'd cook at a temp greater than 450°-500° is just begging to be cooked!

Welcome aboard, congrats on the KK, and let's burn some lump!

Here I am with the OK pegged at 750 degrees… I do see some venting as advertised with white streaking. When Dennis suggests closing the holes/ vent is he implying that I use the supplied grout? Is there a method to so this I assume after cooling? If you read his instructions there is a paragraph that states "close the hole/ vent with applied grout by cutting a small corner off the bag and then folding it over and taking it closed". This is confusing me, what bag? HELP!

Ok, no hotter. Start closing the bottom vent, then the top. As it cools, just press the tile back into place, once it stays just keep an eye on it. Once it's cooled with tile in place, you're good.

Is the grout not necessary then? I just snapped a few interesting pics where you can see some bubbling in a few places (I will post shortly). It looks like spit bubbling....yes a few tiles have gently lifted so I am now going out to the KK and start slowly shutting her down as you suggest with bottom vent first.

I had the smell, but no tiles bubbled up on my burn in, just a couple of spots of white residue. YMMV.

Just don't freak out, it's normal and no harm is being done to your new baby! 

Yup, she smelled alright. It's almost the same odor I get once in a while from my motorcycle exhaust pipe on a hot day when it is parked in the garage. BTW a few tiles started lifting so I have to monitor the cooling process now and make sure thay are firmly in place.

Like I said, just don't freak out! You won't need the bag of grout in your "supplies kit" that came with your KK (spare tiles, grout, spare plugs for the probe hole, etc.) Just press the tiles back down as it cools off and you're golden, dude! Now go off and cook some tasty shit!!! Oh yeah, and post the pictures!!!!

So here are the results of the hot burn in today.....hope you can see some of the bubbling and white streaks. The high-hat vent sprung some good "spit sizzles" too. She is doing a very slow cooldown now which is exactly what I want. Should get back outside just to make sure the small area of tiles that lifted slightly is sealing okay. Still unsure if I need to apply some dabs of grout on those areas....hmmm.

post-2418-0-81419200-1430957413_thumb.jp

post-2418-0-90186400-1430957424_thumb.jp

post-2418-0-43526600-1430957431_thumb.jp

post-2418-0-80001500-1430957435_thumb.jp

Go over her with a fine tooth comb and make sure that you find and secure all the tiles that might have lifted. Put on a mitt and run your hand over the entire surface just to be sure! No need for the grout, unless one of the tiles actually comes off, which is quite rare!

Biff, I will defer to Dennis, but I do believe you should repair areas that look like your top hat. See the line that looks like a tear in the grout? Water can get in there.

Your grout likely came in a white tube. It used to come in a little bag, thus the "cut off the corner" reference. The grout and liquid in the tube may have separated a little, so squish around a little to reincorporate.

Clean the white residue off the tiles and grout. I use Simple Green cleaner for stone surfaces. Wherever you see those rips in the grout, squeeze a little grout on your finger and rub it in in a circular motion. It will fill in the affected area. Don't worry about getting it on the tiles. Rub it in until you don't see the line anymore. Let dry completely and wipe the excess grout from the tiles with a wet cloth or paper towel. It comes right off.

I live in Texas, so the weather that my KK is exposed to is moderate. I believe the concern with any breaches to the grout is water getting in and freezing resulting in potential damage.3a39edc11529fbc7d0939ee0890c64b2.jpg