Howdy KKers!

Well, I was sitting around thinking about Wednesday evening's dinner and thought that I haven't used my Anova Sous Vide in q few weeks.  Time to get the hot water to meet the NY Strips.

The first thing I did was season the NY Strips with S&P, garlic, rosemary and thyme.  Then it was time to seal them in a bag using the Food Saver vacuum packer.

post-1637-0-33038700-1430493112_thumb.jp

Here's a closer view hopefully showing the spices on the meat.

post-1637-0-65474800-1430493159_thumb.jp

Prior to seasoning the NY Strips, I got the Sous Vide controller set up and warming the water to 125F.  My Sous Vide is set to keep the water at 125F for 4 hours.

post-1637-0-65698400-1430493282_thumb.jp

Here is a picture of the NY Strips cooking away in the water at 125F. 

post-1637-0-03318200-1430493347_thumb.jp

Tonight's sides are brussels sprouts seasoned with a kiss of garlic with a lite cheese sauce and sweet potatoes,  Here they are in the belly of TheBeast.  It's worth noting at this point that sweet potatoes are really a dense food.  They need MUCH more time to cook at temp than brussels sprouts.  Make certain you take that into account whenever you cook sweet potatoes.  Sweet potatoes do not bake at the same rate as regular white potatoes.  Sweets are really more dense and take quite a bit longer.

post-1637-0-82624700-1430493471_thumb.jp

Our cooking temp this evening is 400F.  As you can see my temp control skills are slipping.  I just hate it when I do that!  LOL!!

post-1637-0-45599600-1430493586_thumb.jp

Next comes the cheese sauce.  it's nothing more than a blonde roux (just cook the raw dough taste out of the flour), spices, 1 cup of COLD milk, and a couple of cups of sharp cheddar.  No big deal.  A roux is a basic sauce and dead simple to make and then it serves as the basis for so many sauces.  Dead simple ... that's what I like!

post-1637-0-07106900-1430493916_thumb.jp

Here is a plated shot of the final product when everything came together.  I like my cheese sauce spicier than does SWMBOI, so I did the cayenne and black pepper workup on mine.

post-1637-0-51102100-1430494295_thumb.jp

We topped the Strips with a nice goat cheese with basil crumbles and the sweet potatoes just got kissed with butter, salt, and pepper.  Couldn't be simpler and couldn't be tastier!  

In fact, it was so tasty, I almost forgot to show the inside of the steak was cooked to a perfect medium rare.  Sorry I don't have a shot of the steaks searing in TheBeast.  As the NY Strips were already at 125F, it was throw the steaks on TheBeast, wait a few seconds, turn, wait a few more, flip, and repeat.  The Strips came out at a perfect 135F.

Here's a picture of the steak cut open.  I hope you can see the color of a perfectly done medium rare.

post-1637-0-32996200-1430494561_thumb.jp

Were it not for SWMBOI, this shot wouldn't have happened.  This steak was so delicious, I literally forgot about taking pics!

Sous Vide makes cooking steaks so easy.  Just set the temp of the water bath just just below where you want to final temp to be (medium rare is 130-135F).  The longer you cook at temp, the more tender the cut of meat will generally be.  You also want to save the juices in the Sous Vide bag as they are simply wonderful poured over the steak.

So this was a quick and simple cook.  Steak were just to our liking and couldn't have been better!

Thanks for looking in.

CC, I know how great that steak tasted and so would ckreef, if he'd just break down and but another gadget. ckreef, this would be a purchase that you will wish you'd made sooner :):iconbiggrin::wall:

All in due time. Currently got so many projects in the fire not sure how much more Mrs skreef is going to take before I have to sleep with one eye open - LOL

Ask any question you'd like, that's how one finds out things:) The texture will be basically the same but you won't have the smoke flavor, not from the Sous Vide process but when you sear it on the grill after being cooked via SV it really is to get the colour that one expects to have for the steak or whatever. There are basically 2 ways to kill the nasties in the meat one is high temp and fast the other is low temp and a long cooking time. SV will tenderize cuts of meat that you might not want to grill and make them very tender and tasty. Another big advantage for me is that you can put the meat onto cook knowing that it will be ready in 3 hours but something comes up and you don't have the rest of the meal ready and need an other hour or so before you can get things ready- no problem with SV just let it go for the extra time and things will be just fine. I was never a fan of meat cooked and still red in the centre but with SV you have the confidence that while the steak looks medium rare and has that texture it is safe to eat. I have only just barely touched on the topic there is just soooooooooooo much to it. I've been doing it a few years now and would not want to do without my SV controller. It's not just form meats, poultry or fish either. Get a properly SVed egg and it will be like no other egg you have eaten. Between the grill and the SV I never cook my meat, etc. any other way. There is a lot to learn because you need to do things in a safe manor. There are tables for determining the length of time to SV and the temp. so that things are cooked safely. The time depends upon the temp. of the water bath and the thickness of the meat, type of meat being SVed/ I have just given you the tip of the iceberg. Let's see what others add:)

For me I'd say pretty much but then you get a new and just as wonderful flavor. Between the grill and SV I would never put anything in the fry pan to cook again. Even in the middle of the winter there is no way I'm going to the fry pan.

Well and truly said, MacKenzie!

Thanks MacKenzie. I have been hearing more and more about SVing and just wondered if you give up the smoky bbq flavor.

Dennis posted this technique back some time ago. I've tried it and it works. If you want more smokey flavor, just do the sear on the KK first, then put the meat in the SV pouch and finish the cook in the bath to your doneness. You will lose the crust, but the color and smokey flavor will still be there. And, again, NEVER toss out the juices in the bagl they make a fantastic pan sauce!

Here's the book on SV cooking that I have. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Sous-Vide-Temperature-Techniques/dp/1456336975/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1430760017&sr=1-12&keywords=sous+vide

All in due time. Currently got so many projects in the fire not sure how much more Mrs skreef is going to take before I have to sleep with one eye open - LOL

Pounce, dude! 

http://komodokamado.com/forum/topic/5336-anova-discount-code/?p=50320

$154 for the new model and free shipping! What more are you waiting for???