tlinder

Pork belly (German: Schweinsbrust) recipe

-Buy 5 pounds of pork belly (German: Schweinsbrust). This should look like this:

porkbreast.jpg

-Cut of the rind

-Brine it one night in the fridge covered with a mixture made out of:

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

8 cups water

(Make certain the meat is fully submerged in the brine, and make more brine as needed to fully cover the meat)

-Take the meat out of the brine and rub it dry.

-Rub in your favorite rub

-Let it smoke in the KK at a temperature of 180 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit and add some Hickory wood for extra smoke. Turn the meat aprox every 2 hours. You can take the meat off the grill when it reaches an internal temp. of 185 (took about 10 hours for me). That's what it looks like afterwards:

porkbelly2.jpg

Cut it into fine slices and serve it with some homemade bbq-sauces:

porkbelly1.jpg

The leftovers are also delicious cold with some bread.

Man I love bacon; it is in my top pics for favorites foods. You may have actually shown me another way I am gonna like it as that looks good.

BTW, any chance you got a schweinshaxe recipe (I am not real fond of the generic recipe that pops up 10k times when you do a Google search - I am looking for the real deal)? German foods are also among my favorites! Along with German beer - but you never would have guessed I like beer - would you? hehehehe :shock:

-=Jasen=-

Man I love bacon; it is in my top pics for favorites foods. You may have actually shown me another way I am gonna like it as that looks good.

BTW, any chance you got a schweinshaxe recipe (I am not real fond of the generic recipe that pops up 10k times when you do a Google search - I am looking for the real deal)? German foods are also among my favorites! Along with German beer - but you never would have guessed I like beer - would you? hehehehe :shock:

-=Jasen=-

Sorry Jasen, but I live not in Germany but in Switzerland and our cooking is in today way more influenced by France and Italy then by Germany.

If have a German guy (Bavaria) at work. Perhaps he can give me a recipe. I will ask him on Tuesday.

-=Jasen=-

Sorry Jasen, but I life not in Germany but in Switzerland and our cooking is in today way more influenced by France and Italy then by Germany.

If have a German guy (Bavaria) at work. Perhaps he can give me a recipe. I will ask him on Tuesday.

Thanks! By the way, if there are any recipes you would like from me or someone on the forum, just let us know and we will try to get it for you.

-=Jasen=-

-=Jasen=-

Sorry Jasen, but I life not in Germany but in Switzerland and our cooking is in today way more influenced by France and Italy then by Germany.

Thanks! By the way, if there are any recipes you would like from me or someone on the forum, just let us know and we will try to get it for you.

-=Jasen=-[/quote:36rbxh1i]

Lovely, thank you!

schweinshaxe

-=Jasen=-

Jasen - I've got 5 different recipes - all in German. Be glad to scan the pages and post for you :lol:

One is Nuremberg style, one Munich - both of which are really boiled. Then from another old Bavarian cookbook, with a picture of schweinshaxe on the cover, there are 3 recipes - one broiled, one boiled and one grilled.

If you speak Deutsch, I'll post a scan. Otherwise if you pick one, I'll have my wife translate it - of course that will be at a price to me, which means you'll have to pay me with a good homebrew recipe. Hoppy extract (haven't graduated to all grain yet). :)

Kevin

Re: schweinshaxe

-=Jasen=-

Jasen - I've got 5 different recipes - all in German. Be glad to scan the pages and post for you :lol:

One is Nuremberg style, one Munich - both of which are really boiled. Then from another old Bavarian cookbook, with a picture of schweinshaxe on the cover, there are 3 recipes - one broiled, one boiled and one grilled.

If you speak Deutsch, I'll post a scan. Otherwise if you pick one, I'll have my wife translate it - of course that will be at a price to me, which means you'll have to pay me with a good homebrew recipe. Hoppy extract (haven't graduated to all grain yet). :)

Kevin

OH YES!! Please, scan and post!! I can get them translated; I also speak little of it myself (mainly just the bad words though - hehe). Man, I have looked high and low for good haxe recipes and been tweaking on my own for a while. Any chance there is a kalbshaxe recipe in there too (I know, I am pushing it here, but I had to ask)?

Pretty much all my recipes are all grain, but I have a few books that have extract recipes. Let me know what you are looking for and I will send them your way!

-=Jasen=-

Re: Pork belly (German: Schweinsbrust) recipe

Hi Slu

I had the idea that cutting it off would make it easier for the brine to penetrate the meat. The rind will probably also act as a barrier for the fat that would normally flow out of the meat.

Enjoy your pork belly! I should probably also do one again soon!

Thanks, I'll remove the rind before the brine. I think that since it's so large, I'll divide it in two: one half roasted as above; the other half will be cured and smoked for bacon.

Here is an email I received regarding prepping a pork belly;

Michael,

Simple version: score the belly and season well, add enough liquid (wine/stock/juice/beer...) to come halfway up the belly. Place the belly on vegetables (onion, garlic, carrot) fat side up and roast, uncovered until tender, maybe 3-4 hours at 300 degrees. For a more expansive version, see below.

See you soon!

Jesse

Jesse Griffiths and Tamara Mayfield

Dai Due

daidueaustin.com

Apple Cider Braised Pork Belly

Serves 4

24 oz. Richardson pork belly

Salt, to taste

2 white onions, sliced

2 Jonagold apples, sliced

4 bay leaves

2 cloves

Black pepper

1 quart fresh apple cider

Turn the pork belly fat-side up, and score ¼†deep in a crosshatch pattern with a box cutter or sharp, thin-bladed knife. Salt to taste and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to one day. Preheat the oven to 275. Trim a 2†strip of fat from the belly and melt over a medium flame in an oven-proof pan that will hold the belly snugly. Add the onions, apples, bay, cloves and black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the apple cider and bring to a boil. Add the pork belly, fat-side up, and cook, uncovered, in the oven for 4 or 5 hours, or until a knife meets no resistance and the belly is tender and crisp on top.

Remove the belly, apples and onions from the pan, discarding the cloves and bay. Pour the braising liquid into a tall container and refrigerate. Carefully pour off the rendered fat from the liquid as it rises to the top and return the remaining liquid to the pan with the belly, apples and onions and gently reheat or refrigerate for later serving. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes.

I had some prepared like this at the Dai Due kitchen. Absolute heaven!

Re:

Sorry Jasen' date=' but I live not in Germany but in Switzerland and our cooking is today way more influenced by France and Italy than by Germany.[/quote']

My understanding is that Switzerland is essentially four countries, influenced respectively by the Germans, French, Italians, and what can only be be called the "Swiss".