Edwinclevans

My KK review - 1 month in and delivery feedback

I thought long and hard before buying this grill. Originally I had my heart set on an egg but after reading various reviews and researching I realised I preferred the looks of the kk. And of course the reviews were unanimous that it was better than the egg, though whether you get value for money on the incremental was questionable. But I went for the kk primarily as side by side it looked far better than the egg and I knew deep down if I bought an egg I would crave the kk. If you are going to spend a tonne of money it needs to be on the product you really want.

So how is it? I don't cook, never had any inclination to. But I do like barbecuing and now I have the kk I barbecue a lot. It is so easy to clean, just whack up the heat and brush off the carbonised food! The temp is incredibly easy to control and set. I had it figured out after the first cook. And the thing looks amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. I had strangers commenting on it as it was being delivered, and in London it takes a lot for a stranger to engage with you on anything.

I have to say I love it. And when I kinda had doubts about transferring my second lump of cash to a random Indonesian account I called Dennis and had a chat. It's true what they say his customer service is incredible. I don't know how many he sells a year but that level of personal service is amazing.

There are some elements of the experience I think could have been improved. Firstly the payment mechanism. This is going to put a lot of people off - my friends thought I was crazy doing direct bank transfers. No matter how many good reviews you get that will be hurdle some just won't overcome. I also had issues with e-mails. I couldn't read some, others went missing. I still don't know if I got everything I was supposed to. I have never had issues before (I am using apple operating system) so I think it must be on the kk end. This communication issue may be the reason why I was unprepared for what to do with the original shipping docs that were sent. I think including a cover letter explaining that the buyer needs to appoint an agent to get through customs and that they will need those docs would be a good idea. I have never imported anything so next time I will be better prepared. Also adding phone number to the bill of lading is not enough. Some agents will only communicate by post or email so email needs to be included. I very nearly had to pay storage fees as I didn't do what I needed to ahead of arrival and they popped a letter through the post rather than calling!

Aside from minor damage to the catch, which I was able to repair with a spanner in 2 min, the kk arrived in perfect condition (catch condition shown in picture). Though did have baby gecko in tow that had to be dispatched. Must have got into the crate on the boat I guess! I did have major issues getting it through the house but that was my fault for not doing what was suggested and taking a day off for delivery and getting some friends over. The weight of this thing cannot be overestimated!

I should also mention that getting a free crow bar, ratchet, and everything else you need to take apart and rebuild this was unexpected but very welcome! Fantastic attention to detail and customer service.

A couple of questions for the users. 1) is the heat shield supposed to be remove able? It doesn't seem to budge and I don't want to damage by force but it does prevent easy ash removal through the front draft door. 2) does anyone bother to clean the thermometer? Should it be left in place all the time or removed to keep from damage from the elements? 3) anyone have a rotisserie? Is it worth it?

Lastly, not sure whether the doors on the lower and main grills could be redesigned but I can't be the only one who hangs them on the hooks only to have the door open, slide down the grill bar and come off. Sinking the hinge so it can't slide or adding a catch so it can't open under its own weight must be possible.

Overall, to anyone thinking of buying one of these I would say go for it. Take the plunge you won't regret it. I am difficult to impress but every time I look out at the window at this work of art I can't help but smile in smug satisfaction. And the wife loves it too - one taste of the first rack of ribs was enough to convince her.

post-2411-0-66826400-1433058449_thumb.jp

post-2411-0-91779400-1433060946_thumb.jp

Congratulations on your KK! You’re going to be really happy with it over the long run.

To answer some of your questions:

1. The heat shield is removable. It slides off the rods. On mine, I have to use a fair amount of force to get it off. The rods are not perfectly aligned with the tubes on the heat shield, and it’s the friction between the two that keeps it in place. If you really need to, you can try bending the rods a little so that it’s easier to slide the heat shield on and off. Likewise, you can twiddle the rods that the draft doors at the bottom of your grill to make it easier or harder to pull off.

2. I don’t bother to clean my thermometer. I left it on the grill through the winter, and recalibrated it when the weather warmed up. To recalibrate, get some water boiling, and put the thermometer in it. Adjust it so that it reads 212ºF.

3. I don’t have the issue with the doors flapping open on the grates when they are hung on the hooks, but I hang my grates so that the doors are down. My feeling is that a catch would solve the issue of the doors opening if they are hung by that end of the grate, but it would make opening them to add charcoal or smoking wood in the middle of cooking somewhat problematic.

Thanks for the answers. I will persist with trying to dislodge the heat shield then. It looked like it should slide off but even pre use I couldn't get it to budge. I agree with catch on the grill as you don't want to be fiddling to try and open mid cook. I think sinking the hinge a fraction would solve the slide which is what creates the momentum for the whole door to come off. I have tried hanging with the door down but it is easier to slide in the hooks if it is hung with the bars vertical. Tbh it is a minor bug bear and I might just remove the doors completely. There is plenty of grill space without them for most cooks.

Already posted some ribs and pizza. Apart from the pork shoulder, steaks and prawns I have done a leg of lamb in it. Worked pretty well but a lot of dripping. Next big cook will be brisket. If anyone has any rubs or advice on how to cook let me know. I try and sit through the odd BBQ pit master but they keep the techniques quite close to their chests. I need a good recipe to follow

I'll only add a few things to what's already been said.

I wouldn't worry about removing the thermometer if you only are worried about rain, but if the temps get really cold (well below freezing), it's a good idea to bring it inside, so you won't have to re-calibrate it if it under ranges too far. Same goes true if you leave it in on a super high temp cook and let the thermometer over range on the top end. Once the temp's start to reach 800F (425C), pull it out (careful, the probe end will be very hot for a minute or so!) If you need to recal it, loosen the nut on the back of the thermometer until you can turn the dial manually by rotating the case while holding onto the probe. Then stick the probe into boiling water and adjust the dial until it reads 212F (100C) again. Then carefully retighten the nut. 

Take some time and dig through the archives of the Forum and use the search engine. Lots of great advice and recipes for cooking just about anything, especially the "classics" like brisket, ribs, and pork butts. Lots of good info at www.amazingribs.com, especially debunking some old myths about grilling (example, searing meats holds in the juices better - rubbish!)

Welcome to the Obsession!

There are some elements of the experience I think could have been improved. Firstly the payment mechanism. This is going to put a lot of people off - my friends thought I was crazy doing direct bank transfers. No matter how many good reviews you get that will be hurdle some just won't overcome. I also had issues with e-mails. I couldn't read some, others went missing. I still don't know if I got everything I was supposed to. I have never had issues before (I am using apple operating system) so I think it must be on the KK end. This communication issue may be the reason why I was unprepared for what to do with the original shipping docs that were sent. I think including a cover letter explaining that the buyer needs to appoint an agent to get through customs and that they will need those docs would be a good idea. I have never imported anything so next time I will be better prepared. Also adding phone number to the bill of lading is not enough. Some agents will only communicate by post or email so email needs to be included. I very nearly had to pay storage fees as I didn't do what I needed to ahead of arrival and they popped a letter through the post rather than calling!

I understand people's concern with sending transfer's to a third world country.. that being said, it's the only way to get this build quality to the consumer at the price we sell them. We would either need to lower the build quality or sell them for at least 50% more just so you could walk into a local store a buy one.. We all know those numbers don't fly and I don't compromise. That being said luckily there are no other grills make like these and so my customers are willing to go the extra distance required to get them. Fortunately I've been in business 12 years now and there is an abundance of information and reviews online which obviously give me enough credibility for strangers to send me upwards of $10K sight unseen.. Gotta love the net ;-)

The reason a TT transfer needs to be sent is it's best  proof of payment if customs gets involved.  Thank you for the feedback, we usually have a customer's customs brokers info or use the one that works with ours and the customer is partially left out of the process.

International customers are told in the first email they will be responsible for clearing customs and getting the grill from the terminal to their residence. We also off to help find an agent. This email is the first and the details may be forgotten as the process goes along.. We usually just send the shipping and required documents directly to the broker..

Please excuse any frustration you had during this process, we will definitely write up a comprehensive detailed info letter to help customers understand this process better.

So how is it? I don't cook, never had any inclination to. But I do like barbecuing and now I have the kk I barbecue a lot. It is so easy to clean, just whack up the heat and brush off the carbonised food! The temp is incredibly easy to control and set. I had it figured out after the first cook. And the thing looks amazing. The pictures don't do it justice. I had strangers commenting on it as it was being delivered, and in London it takes a lot for a stranger to engage with you on anything.

I have to say I love it. And when I kinda had doubts about transferring my second lump of cash to a random Indonesian account I called Dennis and had a chat. It's true what they say his customer service is incredible. I don't know how many he sells a year but that level of personal service is amazing.

. The weight of this thing cannot be overestimated!

I should also mention that getting a free crow bar, ratchet, and everything else you need to take apart and rebuild this was unexpected but very welcome! Fantastic attention to detail and customer service.

Overall, to anyone thinking of buying one of these I would say go for it. Take the plunge you won't regret it. I am difficult to impress but every time I look out at the window at this work of art I can't help but smile in smug satisfaction. And the wife loves it too - one taste of the first rack of ribs was enough to convince her.

Thank you for the kudos, your purchase and business, I really appreciate them..   The Kudos, can't say I ever get bored of hearing them.. 

Enjoy your grill and the food.. Please post them here too..

• Like 1

Thanks. It was my naivety re: customs. And the delivery agent didn't help as they send a mail implying strongly it would be trucked to london. And of course they could have called the number on the bill of lading when it arrived with no docs. But they said their policy was not to phone. I will def post food pics here. I started on Facebook but I was worried my friends would start to think me weird. This seems like the right forum for such expression of food obsession.

I would suggest using a shop vac to clean out the ashes. I usually remove the lump basket and grills and suck the ashes from the top. Easy peasy.

But, make sure that you use a very fine filter, like for doing drywall sanding, or you'll end up with ash dust everywhere. 

• Like 1

A second word of caution with the shop vac... Make sure the ashes are well and truly out. The KK is so efficient that I've mistakenly used my hand as an ash broom two days after a cook, only to find out she was still burning. <insert silly boy comment here>

• Like 1