DaveyR

24 Hour brisket

Ok so i have a wedding coming up and i said i would cook a couple of briskets for the next day.

The only issue with this is i will need to start them before we drive to the wedding and then come home the next day and pick up and then drive to the after party.

Has anyone got any thoughts for a 24 - 26 hour cook for full packer briskets.

Going to be doing 2 of them on the 23.  will try to get both side by side.

Was thinking of temp about 200 - 210.  Should have the ability to remote in and change the temp if needed but would like to set up and walk away :)

Not sure as not doing it for another month.  Will do a trial run this weekend.  

Last time i did one at 250 it seemed to take about 8 hours.  So was thinking that i would need to drop it a lot to keep it at that temp.

Also why i am asking for suggestions :) Everything seems to cook much faster on the KK that i expect. 

I have done briskets two different ways:

1. Low-n-Slow - this usually takes between 12-16 hours. Results are very good, but can get a little dry on the thin parts of the meat.

2. Hot-n-Fast - this reliably takes 4.5 hours, regardless of the size of the meat. There are more details in the forums on this method, but the short of it is => prep meat as desired (i use a mustard-bouillon mix then dizzy pig red-eye-express); put it fat up on the grill (you can have both main and upper grill in use) cooker @ 350f. Internal Temp to 160f (usually 2 hours) remove, put in foil or foil pan, add 1/2 cup beef broth, cover, put back on the grill for 2.5 more hours, or at 2 hours remove from foil and put back on grill to create dryer bark.

For ease of use, i always just leave it foiled for the 2.5 hours and have people in tears when we run out.

I have found that the hot-n-fast method has taken the complexity out of cooking brisket and added a level of consistency that is enjoyable.

Thanks for that Tucker.  Would be the method i would love to follow but timings just wont allow.  Will be leaving at 1pm on friday and not back until about 11am - 12 on saturday.  Then have to drive it 2 hours for 2 pm serving.

Having my golfing buddies / league guys over for end of season BBQ next week. Just ordered a 17lb brisket and now researching my approach....never done one this big, was the only one I could find here in Singapore. Nervous about timing with that big a cut. Look forward to hearing how this went for you.

Hopefully i will get the brisket tonight / tomorrow morning and will let you know.  I will also graph and hopefully remember to save the temps so i can watch the stall and have a better idea of timing.  I am hoping that the kk will help to keep it moist just by not letting to much air in as i wont be able to foil until the "rest" or the drive to the jersey shore.

Just to be clear, when I did my super slow super low brisket I did not foil.

I do not foil on low and slow briskets as I want the best bark. That is in my opinion the best part (point bark, mmmmmmmm) and the problem with the hot and fast method. I have done several hot and just don't like it as much texture wise.

I also put my probe in the flat for doneness, and put the point back on for a couple of hours

YMMV

Tony have some pictures but cant seem to upload from tapatalk on phone very well.  So once it is on the grill in a couple of hours will update.

mk1 that is good as i was wondering about having to cook part under foil for the whole cook as i would not be able to foil it mid way.  I will have 2 probes one in the flat and one in the point, they will both be graphed so it will be intresting to see what it looks like.

Tony have some pictures but cant seem to upload from tapatalk on phone very well.  So once it is on the grill in a couple of hours will update.

mk1 that is good as i was wondering about having to cook part under foil for the whole cook as i would not be able to foil it mid way.  I will have 2 probes one in the flat and one in the point, they will both be graphed so it will be intresting to see what it looks like.

You may decide to separate the two when the flat is done and continue on with the point, or do separate cooks at the same time. I often wonder what others do. This is one of those things where I try them all looking for what I like best.

Ok so the cook is happening.  

For live stats http://home.toadstool.net.nz:9999will post the graph when it is done and remove the live feed.  Currently no blower attached so it is just me manually changing the settings to control temp.  Came out this morning and found that i had not sealed Astro up totaly last night so just put more coal on this morning at 8.30 and brisket went in at 11am.

Fresh brisket was a bit bigger than i had remembered.  Was 18 pounds to start 

post-1830-0-02550500-1433528258_thumb.jp

Natural beef love restaurant depot.

post-1830-0-53606400-1433528309_thumb.jp

Ok as much of the fat cap trimmed as i am wanting to do.

post-1830-0-26731400-1433528364_thumb.jp

The underside was nice and lean

post-1830-0-82393700-1433528384_thumb.jp

Salt Pepper and on to kk round drip tray and in to the fridge for a nice rest.

post-1830-0-72154900-1433528438_thumb.jp

Brisket in and ready for a long slow cook.

post-1830-0-00264300-1433528498_thumb.jp