Porkchop

Starting my coals without my chimney

so the other day, a buddy from work got a free ECB and he's a noob, so he asked me to come over and give him a lesson. 2 whole chickens were destined to meet the heat! i brought some items to give him, which included some lump (to let him know not to use briquettes!) and my old chimney.

so, last nite, i go to light larry, and lo, i haven't yet replaced my chimney! soooo, i balled up 4 sheets of newspaper, cleared a space in the middle of my fire grate and placed them there. then i surrounded with lump and dumped a bunch of lump on top. finally, i took my fancy new bbq lighter with the flexible tip, and lit the paper from the bottom, thru the lower draft. dome down, both upper and lower drafts wide open. went inside to prepare boneless skinless chicken boobs and thighs, and took like 10 min to play a few volleys of ping pong.

came outside, and the needle was wrapped AGAIN to 200! this took like 10-15 min TOPS! screwed up the cook, as i kept getting distracted by video games and ping pong, but i learned something very valuable! was never able to do that with kong, cause the coal grate was too hard to reach thru the lower draft (i'd tried this before!). now, i don't know if i'll bother to get a chimney, this worked SO well!

no guru, no hairdryer, no fan, NO PROBLEM!!

I don't find it at all difficult to light my Kong-like cooker with 3 balls of newspaper in a nest of lump. Worked quite well, actually. I finally hooked up the gas last night, though, and I must say it was simple to light it up with the flames underneath. But, if I run out of gas, I'm not screwed. Of course, I usually don't have newspaper... :::shrug:::

yeah, sanny, but i bet you have smaller hands than i do :D i can't get my hand thru the lower draft door on kong without barking my knuckles, and then i don't have enuf maneuverability to light from below. you know what they say about guys with big hands, right?

we have a harder time fitting them thru a #7 draft door :oops:

yeah' date=' sanny, but i bet you have smaller hands than i do :D i can't get my hand thru the lower draft door on kong without barking my knuckles, and then i don't have enuf maneuverability to light from below. [/quote']I don't light from down below in the draft door. I just use a long butane lighter thingy, and light the side of the newspaper from the top of the cooker. Magic. :)

My wife has a hand held propane weed burner.. It uses a Coleman type

propane bottle and basically looks like a 3 foot long shepherds crook.

I just stand outside the K and stick the lit end into the charcoal basket.

Gets coal lit in about a minute.

A classic Alton Brown type double tasker. :D

I use this very handy propane-thing from the toolshop:

brenner.jpg

I just flame with it over the coal for aprox a minute, then close the lid and 10 minutes later the thermometer is on 450 degrees. Lovely!