ckreef

Runaway Komodo

Nope not talking about runaway temps. It's physically trying to runaway - LOL

Long story.

After a month or so of heavy use I noticed my Komodo was not sitting in the same position on my cinder blocks stand as it was when I placed it there. I figured there was one of two possible explanations:

1 - Somebody tried to steal it. They picked it up and it was a little heavy for one person to handle so they set it back down (in a slightly different position) or

2 - Because of the heating/cooling expansion and contraction of either the KK itself or the cinder blocks the KK shifts position by a hair with each cook. After heavy use day after day the movement is noticeable.

To try and figure this out I repositioned it on the stand and with a Sharpie and marked the stand where it sat. A month or so later here is it's new posit compared to the marks I made.

Glad it wasn't someone trying to steal it. Will have to come up with a better stand in the future (been planning on that anyway). Until then I'll keep a close eye on it.

Don't runaway KK - just because I abuse you doesn't mean I don't love you - LOL

c39df2b12a3faed6a6f6f8afddeacb6b.jpg

Granted, this wasn't a kk, but, my old bge was in a cedar table, with a 1" piece of granite between the base of the grill and the table. When I sold the set up to make room for little boy, I found that the table under the granite was significantly charred, to the point that it would have burned through eventually. I'm just saying that the bottoms get hotter than you might realize, so be careful.

Robert

My theory is that the movement is due to the opening of the lid, which would tend to push the grill in the direction indicated by your marks on the cinder blocks. Here's a quick experiment to test my hypothesis - put the grill back on your original Sharpee marks. Without lighting the grill, i.e., keep it cold, cycle the lid open/closed about a dozen times and see if the grill has moved relative to your marks?

My theory is that the movement is due to the opening of the lid, which would tend to push the grill in the direction indicated by your marks on the cinder blocks. Here's a quick experiment to test my hypothesis - put the grill back on your original Sharpee marks. Without lighting the grill, i.e., keep it cold, cycle the lid open/closed about a dozen times and see if the grill has moved relative to your marks?

Good theory. I haven't thought of that. Will give it a try and report back.

I thought about rubber mat. I just need to find one I'm confident in not to melt and make a mess of the bottom of the KK.

I guess I need to shove a temp probe under there to see how hot the bottom gets.

Canning jar rubbers (sewn on) keep rugs in place. I would not expect to find heat there.

Charles - the Mrs. would love a big brother to Prometheus! It's THE thing to do. Rob has two, I've got two, Tinyfish has his second on order .... are you beginning to see a pattern here?! Jump on in ... the water is just fine! LOL!

If I did that right about now I wouldn't need two because I'll be living at your house using Beauty and The Beast. - LOL

No worries I'll bring Prometheus with me.

She did say once we get done with a few of the big house projects she'll be kewl with me getting another grill.

If I did that right about now I wouldn't need two because I'll be living at your house using Beauty and The Beast. - LOL

No worries I'll bring Prometheus with me.

She did say once we get done with a few of the big house projects she'll be kewl with me getting another grill.

Charles - the way Suzy talks to you here, I'd make absolutely certain she went to sleep,with a smile on her pretty face every night!

There's nobody in The Shed at the moment, so you are more than welcome to come on down!

I've got a new bourbon, Basil Hayden, that is really wonderful. We'll burn through a bottle of that whilst cooking some NY Strips!