tony b

It's good to live where the pigs do - Part Deux

Local brewery (Backpocket) partnered up with Rustic Rooster Farms for a good old-fashioned pig roast yesterday, except they had a bouzhier name for it - Boucherie.

post-975-0-53995700-1435516137_thumb.jpg

Beer AND BBQ Pork, you KNOW that I was there!

They did the pigs "La Caja China" style - so instead of "pigs in a blanket," we had "pigs in a coffin!"

post-975-0-22829600-1435516228_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-24596500-1435516278_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-72340400-1435516413_thumb.jpg

THE MAN (Carl, owner of Rustic Rooster) and his pig.

post-975-0-42778800-1435516360_thumb.jpg

I wasn't patient enough to get to sample all 4 breeds, as they were serving them sequentially, as each one was finished. I had pig #1 (mulefoot) and pig #2 (red wattle). After pig #2  was just about finished, the crowd started to thin out - it was getting late in the afternoon by that point. I'd had pig #3 (Iowa Swabian Hall) before and wasn't about to wait around hours to get to pig #4, the mangalitsa, the one that I REALLY wanted to try. 

Oh yeah, and I had some yummy beers too! Overall, a very good day!

• Like 1

Thanks Aussie Ora, but I was a part time farm kid that spent every summer on his grandparents farm working and learning the ethics of that environment.  It was a great wake up call for a kid that was pretty spoiled.

We raised 200 hogs for slaughter, 300 chickens and we milked 7 dairy cows, by hand.  160 acres of small family farm that supported my grandparents family and provided some really good food!  Man, I never liked eggs before that, you know the nasty ones that came from a supermarket, but these eggs were fresh and the flavor was so much better I liked eating them.  Same for the chickens and the bacon and the fresh churned butter.  I was in charge of feeding the chickens and feeding the breeding sows that produced

They worked me from pre-dawn to dusk and if I ever started to act up and be a PITA they had 2 methods that got my attention.  1, carrying the horse saddle toward the breed boar's pen, which initially elicited the question from me, "where are you going with that?" which got the reply, "Since you have been so ornery we thought you needed to ride King" (the boar).  Needless to say that scared the poop out of me.  I used to marvel that the big boar would scratch his back on a powerful electric fence and do so for fun!!  The #2 method was give me a hoe and put me in the middle of a 40 acre field of soy bean plants and give me the command to rid the field of weeds.  That too was not pleasant.

A good experience all in all and also gave me a love of good pork :-)

• Like 2

Thanks Aussie Ora, but I was a part time farm kid that spent every summer on his grandparents farm working and learning the ethics of that environment.  It was a great wake up call for a kid that was pretty spoiled.

We raised 200 hogs for slaughter, 300 chickens and we milked 7 dairy cows, by hand.  160 acres of small family farm that supported my grandparents family and provided some really good food!  Man, I never liked eggs before that, you know the nasty ones that came from a supermarket, but these eggs were fresh and the flavor was so much better I liked eating them.  Same for the chickens and the bacon and the fresh churned butter.  I was in charge of feeding the chickens and feeding the breeding sows that produced

They worked me from pre-dawn to dusk and if I ever started to act up and be a PITA they had 2 methods that got my attention.  1, carrying the horse saddle toward the breed boar's pen, which initially elicited the question from me, "where are you going with that?" which got the reply, "Since you have been so ornery we thought you needed to ride King" (the boar).  Needless to say that scared the poop out of me.  I used to marvel that the big boar would scratch his back on a powerful electric fence and do so for fun!!  The #2 method was give me a hoe and put me in the middle of a 40 acre field of soy bean plants and give me the command to rid the field of weeds.  That too was not pleasant.

A good experience all in all and also gave me a love of good pork :-)

Great story I grew up on farms sheep and dairy hard yakka but it made appreciate what I have and gave me the work ethic that is sadly not installed in alot of people. Love fresh farm eggs nothing better. I slaughted my first lamb at 12 that was an experience but tasted so good. The most Scary time of my childhood was when my uncle orb was getting a few chooks ready to eat instead of letting one bleed he let it go it ran around headless I remember just looking and running to my dad I was about 5 years old lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah, that headless chicken thing is always a show stopped for a young kid.

Another funny, and somewhat terrifying thing for this kid, was when my parents were living in San Francisco where my father was stationed in the navy right after WW2.  As a 2yr old toddler I remember a big wharf with fishing boats (I know now it was Fishermans Wharf) and my parents were talking with someone who was standing behind a big barrel (probably 55 gallon drum) I was curious.   So, when that guy grabbed something off the top of the drum that I could not see until he put it on the ground in front of me; scared the poop out of me when a big dungeness crab started crawling toward me!!!  I took off running as fast as my short little legs could carry me with several people in hot pursuit.  Needless to say I have been afraid of spiders ever since.  Similar the the chicken incident :-)

• Like 2