aiden

New 21" reporting for duty

Just in time for a back-to-back weeklong family visits, my new 21" Supreme arrived on Tuesday.

I've owned a BGE Large for almost 5 years, and am very familiar with the capabilities of ceramic kamado grills versus the traditional charcoal grills on which I was raised in Texas. I have been wanting a KK for quite some time, and was able to build up enough "grilling equity" to convince the CFO it was time for an upgrade.

Special delivery from Indonesia.

post-1298-0-84568100-1436653182_thumb.jp

Because of my remote location, I had to meet the delivery truck in town and have it loaded onto a flatbed trailer. I also had to borrow a pallet jack and enlist the help of my neighbor and my son to help get it unloaded. Even though the 21" is technically smaller than the 23", because of the hi-cap design of the dome the height of the 21" actually taller than the 23" and wouldn't fit fully assembled. So Dennis ships them in separate crates for assembly on site. At first this concerned me, because removing the dome on the BGE requires quite a bit of work when trying to reseat and tighten the rings. But the KK is simplicity itself, just a hinge pin and a spring.

Taking a little off the top.

post-1298-0-73457200-1436653190_thumb.jp

Uncrating is a snap once you remove those 8 bolts. Very simple and strong design. It took 4 of us to lift the grill off the crate using the blue ropes around the feet. I opted to do this instead of ripping up the braces at the bottom because I will reuse this crate any time we have to relocate the grill. It's just too well built to throw away if you have space to store it.

Assembled and open for business.

post-1298-0-85001100-1436653208_thumb.jp

The teak grill grabbers are amazing, and the multilevel grate design is inspired. This is such a thoughtfully designed grill in every detail. The engineering and attention to detail are unsurpassed.

A Bentley versus a Civic.

post-1298-0-27003400-1436653197_thumb.jp

As much as my BGE has been loved and used, I think she's going to be relegated to doing appetizers and side cooks from now on. You might notice an orange ring on the BGE where the seal should be. That's a homemade seal I made from automotive gasket silicone after the felt seal let go a few years ago. I refused to replace it with the same wimpy material. The KK by comparison features a massive rubber seal that is incredibly robust and thick. I don't really have anything else to say here, because the picture speaks volumes.

A work of art.

post-1298-0-22439700-1436653224_thumb.jp

The Terra Blue tiles are absolutely beautiful, and unique. I was concerned the grill might wind up being the Big Blue Egg, but I am absolutely thrilled with this tile choice. I honestly can't believe this is a tool for creating food, simply because of the high quality fittings, the tight seams, the precision hardware, the exacting tile alignment, and the incredibly perfect seal between the top and bottom.

Upcoming plans.

After I give her the 525F burn-in to get rid of any remaining synthetic flavors, I have the following cooks planned for the coming weeks:

• Burgers
  • Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin
  • Ribs
  • Brisket
  • Steaks
  • Chicken
  • Pizza (never done this before)
  • ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turd) Jalapeno Poppers (bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese) 

For those who have a hard time cooking their jalapenos without making a big mess (falling over, etc), I found some excellent racks from http://www.jalapenojeaven.com/products/jalapeno-grill-racks/ . I bought two of the 10 pepper Quarter Grills, because the rounded shape allows me to move them to the edges.

I've ordered a peel for the pizza and am excited to give that a try. Based on the posts I've seen so far I think it will become quite a favorite.

I'm also really looking forward to Thanksgiving, as I have cooked the turkey on the BGE for the past 3 years. I expect the KK to take things up a notch or two.

Oh, and yes, I still have to name her. Some of you guys took the best names, and I'm OCD enough that I can't bring myself to use one of them. It just wouldn't be unique enough. So I'm going to have to research a bit.

All in all I have to say this is one of the best investments I've made, even before my first cook, because I know this grill will outlive me and my children will be able to continue the tradition. Thanks to all of you who have continued to support KK over the years, and thank you Dennis for having the passion to create something truly world class in market crowded with mediocrity.

• Like 1

Wow, now I know you don't have mine because that is not the colour I picked but it sure is beautiful. That grill looks awesome, can't wait until I get mine. I'm happy to find out that the top is shipped separate from the body. I think that will make things much easier not that it's is hard to take the top off but who wants to start taking the grill apart before you even get to cook on it :D That is quite the list and you will have so much fun going thru it. Great post and I'm so happy for you :D:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Tinyfish - It is quite an experience when that crate shows up and you realize just how much labor you have ahead of you! Now that she's fully put together and all the debris is cleared away, I almost don't want to get her dirty. But she has some work to do to pay for herself.

MacKenzie - I hope those customs people don't take too long playing with your grill. I look forward to seeing you make one of these posts soon.

Tony - I definitely will be taking some pictures, though I fully consider myself an amatuer, especially compared to some of you. I'm sure I'm going to put the wrong meat at the wrong level (BGE only has one grate level), or not let her heat soak enough before starting a cook, or some other rookie mistake. But that's part of the adventure.

Tinyfish - It is quite an experience when that crate shows up and you realize just how much labor you have ahead of you! Now that she's fully put together and all the debris is cleared away, I almost don't want to get her dirty. But she has some work to do to pay for herself.

I know the feeling about keeping it clean. I've had my KK for about a month now. I have polished her every time I've cooked on it plus a few times in between cookings. I keep a bottle of my cars quick detailer and spray wax right beside my KK just for KK use now.

I have to ask Dennis if its possible to wear out the tiles by cleaning/rubbing them too much.

congratulations aiden!   If the 21" was available when I bought my 23" I might have been tempted...just the right size for 2 people IMHO!   Although my 23" is in storage and will be for some time while we travel around I miss firing it up almost every day!   Its makes ANY type of cook so easy and fun its just plain silly.  You'll find yourself with an ear-to-ear grin long after the stainless steel grates have turned carbon black!  

Its one of just a few possessions I own that I would buy a hundred times again.  Fortunately I don't need to.  :)

Welcome to the wonderful world of fun, generous and gifted KK owners!

Aiden - WOWZERS! An absolutely gorgeous KK you have there! Congrats all over the place to you! Welcome the the LK Club! I couldnt be happier for you. I'm really looking forward to seeing your cooks on your new KK.

I notice that you say this KK is one of the nest investments you've ener made. Well and truly said! I never looked at any of the 5 kamados I've owned as an investment until I got my KKs.

You will find as you cook on your KK that Dennis put a lot of thought into every single aspect of his KKs. There are subtle nuances built in that make cooking on a KK such much more a wonderful experience than cooking on anything else. You notice it from the first time you open the lid. Your KK is simply Uncompromised Excellence.

Again, welcome aboard and congrats on a gorgeous KK!