GrillingMontana

addicted to pizza

I seem to always have pizza on the brain.

After many years of burned bottoms and raw tops, I think I finally have this thing dialed with some semblance of consistency.

3 weeks ago, the misses and I began embracing a lo-carb "lifestyle".   So for now, and for a while, I can only daydream of cooks like this, savor the memories, and plan for future indulgences.

post-2171-0-51928600-1437318775_thumb.jp

I seem to always have pizza on the brain.

After many years of burned bottoms and raw tops, I think I finally have this thing dialed with some semblance of consistency.

3 weeks ago, the misses and I began embracing a lo-carb "lifestyle".   So for now, and for a while, I can only daydream of cooks like this, savor the memories, and plan for future indulgences.

attachicon.gif2015-07-18 10.39.00.jpg

Looks delicious...so what secret have you arrived at for time/temp/placement etc?

Low carb diets..

I hope i get this right.. My dear friend MK1 told me that a low carb diet will prevent you from making too much insulin which then creates fat.. What ever your diet is you create a carb/insulin baseline.. If you cut out all carbs you will still have a baseline but it will drop to the point where even the carbs in vegetables will come into play and you could actually create too much insulin without eating the traditional carbs..

So here's the good news..

You need to keep you baseline high so you loose weight and don't create too much insulin.. How?  One day a week you need to spike your carb intake.. that's right..  scarf down those carbs with a few beers!  Your insulin will spike a bit and keep that baseline high so the rest of the week it's soo high you limit your insulin production..  Sounded good to me..

I hope I got that right.. Probably a term wrong here and there but that's the essence.. and you get to spike your carbs once a week!

LOL

• Like 1

Hmmmm..... the dangers of being quoted.

Insulin levels do matter and the pattern of caloric intake definitely effect them. I am pretty sure I never said a few beers with your carbs Dennis.

For those attempting to lose weight and retain lean muscle mass, a program of high protein, low fat, and low carb is good, with frequent small meals and a strength training program if your health will permit. A "cheat day" does help your body from adjusting to a routine, but does not consist of 4000 calories of pizza and beer.

To lose one pound a week, one must run a 500 calorie per day deficit. Muscle burns calories even at rest. Early morning weight training is considered best as our natural testosterone levels are highest then. You can lose weight many different ways, this one is quite effective. The key however is not to consider this a diet. It is a way of life. After reaching your goal weight you can add a modest amount of carbs back to reach a steady state.

The biggest plus to a low carb diet is the decreased hunger stimulus from the lower insulin levels.

Americans have the most expensive healthcare as we take the poorest care of ourselves. Doctors cannot fix this. We all control what we put in our bodies.Now we are allowing our children to be obese before puberty.

I would encourage everyone to consider portion size as a critical part of your way of life.

I am off my soap box, and apologize if I have offended anyone.

• Like 2

Losing weight and keeping it off is very difficult. The human body is a highly adaptive mechanism. Most diet advice will result in a short term loss, but fail to provide a long term result, and likely set the stage for a higher return weight post diet. Acquiring a  fundamental understanding of biochemistry before starting any kind of diet is always my recommendation. The knowledge you gain will help you see through the fad diet trends and help craft a lifestyle that is sustainable. As a starting point, look up Dr Layne Norton on YouTube. He is a professional natural bodybuilder and coach, but his advice is applicable to everyone since it is based on a solid foundation is biochemistry. Warning: He tends to rant a bit, but I have yet to find a better resource for the novice. Pay specific attention to his series on metabolic rate, adaptation, and capacity.

On a personal note, I lost 36 pounds the first three months of this year following his technique. I hit my goal and have not gained back a single pound. I average 2500-3000 calories a day, with 50% from carbs. I stay active but post diet have not followed a daily exercise routine. I can share specifics of my program for those interested.

Looks delicious...so what secret have you arrived at for time/temp/placement etc?

What I have concluded is you do not need nuclear reactor temps to get a good pizza.  

If you are making dough, leave out the sugar. 425-475 works as a great range.  

Warm up a stabilized kamado with stone for a solid 45 min before cooking pizzas.  

Make sure to cook as high in the dome as possible. Fire bricks make a great shim for an extra 3-4 inches of vertical if needed.

I always use a pizza peel and parchment paper for easy placement on the stone.  

Although I am guilty of violating this, err on the side of more sparingly on the toppings for better results.  Always have many cold beverages on hand for safety sake and most importantly, have lots of fun!

• Like 2

Low carb diets..

Hmmmm..... the dangers of being quoted.

Insulin levels do matter and the pattern of caloric intake definitely effect them. I am pretty sure I never said a few beers with your carbs Dennis.

We were (are) following the type of protocol MK1 mentioned. Low carbs as a lifestyle with a "spike" in insulin via carb intake once a week after induction for the purpose of promoting additional fat burning as recommended in the book Carb Nite Solution.

Fortunately, cooking on the KK we have so many lo-carb and high protein options I am able to keep it creative.  But I still do lose sleep over pizza...

Starch and sugar is bad, it makes you fat! Meat and veggies are the way to go. Healthy fats are very good, and many fats you may think are unhealthy may actually be ok. And I OF COURSE indulge in massive cheat meals at least once a week!

I also work out a lot Nd eat every 3 hours. Good luck all :)