Syzygies

Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto

Cookie - glad to hear you are safely home. I have found Southern Living's BBQ offerings to be pretty good. It is, as one would expect, Southern Style BBQ. For me, that's a little too sweet, but once I downsize the amount of sugar, brown sugar, and molasses, their recipes are well received. Down here in the Southwest USA, we like our BBQ peppery, dry, and spicy.

You'll like Franklin's Book. Good info on industrial scale BBQ production and some first rate recipes for rubs. Enjoy!

Just barely cracked the cover so far (should be spending more time reading than posting here, ha, ha!) BUT, my butcher paper was delivered yesterday, so I'm going to jump ahead in the book to read up on that technique right away, then double back and pick up where I left off.

No problem with that. If I remember correctly, somewhere in the book Aaron Franklin writes something to the effect that if you want to get straight to cooking, skip the first 3/4ths of the book to the recipe section, and go back to read the first part at your convenience.

The whole book is well worth reading, as I’ve mentioned before.

Well said. And yes they do serve outstanding meats.

Having ordered and read the book I find it interesting but to me not a worthy buy.

It contains very few recipes 4 meats (1 turkey, 2 rib, 1 brisket) 4 sauces and 3 sides.

Much of the other roughly 170 pages of general info is all ready on the web. It is a good first time beginner book.

I suggest this book be reviewed before purchase.

I knew all that going in and bought the book anyway. I like getting inside the minds of other cooks to see how they think and what motivates them. Fuel for my fire! Only 3 chapters in so far (been too busy to read much), but I find it captivating. :read2: YMMV 

Even though he's an major A-hole, I did find Myron Mixon's book also a fascinating read. He's the Donald Trump of BBQ (IMHO). Chris Lily's history of Big Bob Gibson is a fun read and Chris provides a lot of his own insights into BBQing. And don't believe for a minute that he's giving you the real recipe for that White Sauce, as I've compared their bottled version to homemade using the book's recipe - similar, but not the same. Ray Lampe's (aka Dr. BBQ) book (Big Time BBQ) was OK . Interesting recipes, but his stories were meh! And, "BBQ USA" by Steven Raichlen is the bible in my house!