Wrapped Brisket

The bark with the paper was similar to not wrapped, foil does not give that result. If this brisket had been any more tender, it simply would have fallen apart in my hands. It technically was overcooked, from a competition standpoint, luckily I don't compete.

This was a prime brisket, and it was as, if not more tender than nekid wagyu briskets I've done in the past. So, great bark? Check. Tender? Check. I believe if you're gonna wrap a brisket, paper is the way to go.

Robert

Oh well, off to Amazon - AGAIN, to buy something based on posts here in the Forum. Dennis ought to ask Amazon for a cut of the business!

Tony, I got the 18" wide roll, I recommend the 24". The 18" wasn't as wide as my brisket was long, so I had to wrap length wise, the 24" would make it easier to manipulate.

Robert

Ducati - I can heartily recommend a Big Bad 32". It's a KK, it can accommodate huge cooks, it's incredibly easy to use, and best of all .... it produces the best BBQ you ever tasted. Butcher paper or not! :)

What I really like about the 32" is the ability to use 1/2 the main grate while still being able to utilize the level below without having to remove a grate. At least that is what I believe to be the case. Also even though I don't cook lots of food anyone time I love all the extra room (space) in the 32". How many 1/2 size grates can you buy for the 32? Is it just the main grate? Thanks

Craig

• Like 1

Craig - you can set up the KK BB 32" just about any way you want. And I'm fairly certain Dennis will sell you any grate configuration your heart desires! But my main grate is a single unit that spans the entirety TheBeast. There are splt grates further down, but my main is like every KK ... solid as a rock.

Well the forum inspired purchase of butchers paper was actually pretty easy on the pocket book. I was able to get an 18"×1050ft roll for $17.99 Canadian.

This weekend will be my first brisket on the Komodo do I go unwrapped or butcher paper wrapped any thoughts welcome.

OK, so I did it! Despite trials and tribulations*, I did the Aaron Franklin brisket (sort of). Like he says, it's all about the meat. Since I was not cooking for the masses, I picked up a beautiful 100% grass fed brisket. My above post was a case of bad memory - it's only 1.5 lbs. 

post-975-0-32070000-1438472265_thumb.jpg

The setup - Sucklebusters SPG, with extra S&P (fresh cracked, of course), and the pink butcher paper.

post-975-0-22119200-1438472332_thumb.jpg

All seasoned up and ready to go.

post-975-0-68812000-1438472371_thumb.jpg

Onto the KK, indirect, 250F w/Guru. Smoker pot with red oak and peach (see Trials & Tribulations below). A little after 8am this morning.

post-975-0-16986700-1438472434_thumb.jpg

After the stall (~172F internal, about 11:30 am) and ready to be wrapped. The stall was really short, only about 30 minutes (best guess).

post-975-0-98396000-1438472610_thumb.jpg

Back onto the KK.

post-975-0-83212700-1438472633_thumb.jpg

Finished @ 205F internal, about 3:30pm, look at the grease stain on the paper! Total time on the KK = ~ 7 1/2 hours. Wrapped in a towel and put into the cooler until suppertime @ 6pm.

post-975-0-85076600-1438472765_thumb.jpg

The grand reveal - ta, da!!

post-975-0-98942200-1438472799_thumb.jpg

Naked, no pink robe!

post-975-0-47970500-1438472862_thumb.jpg

Sliced open. Nice smoke ring. Great bark. Ate the end piece as the Cook's Choice. Crazy good pepper flavors. See where Aaron is going with this!

post-975-0-40864100-1438472914_thumb.jpg

Plated, with fresh, local sweet corn (seriously sweet!), house made fries (double fried, of course), salad with homegrown tomato (doesn't hold a candle to MacKenzie's garden produce!), sourdough rolls, and a nice Rose wine. Call it din-din!

post-975-0-84028800-1438473043_thumb.jpg

Money shot!

post-975-0-59350100-1438473063_thumb.jpg

How was it? AMAZING! The flavor and bark were killer. While not dry, I wouldn't have call it moist or juicy (until I hit a piece with some fat left - OMG!), but that was to be expected with such a small piece of meat. Will definitely only be doing brisket in the future in pink butcher paper and will likely wrap my chuck roasts, too!! I wonder how ribs would do in it??  :chin:

* OK, for the Trials & Tribulations - First, despite getting up at the crack of dawn (6am) to get the KK up and going, it took 3 attempts to get the grill lit and running (Ken, starting to have serious doubts about this FOGO charcoal! This isn't the first time I've had it go out on me after seriously hitting it with the torch!) After losing an hour fighting the charcoal, I finally got the meat on a little after 8 am. My original target was 7am. Was a bit worried about getting it done by suppertime. Thought seriously about breaking out the Bourbon at this point! As it turns out, it finished a bit earlier than I planned. Wrapped in a towel and into the cooler until suppertime.

Second T&T - because of the issues getting the charcoal lit and going, the smoker pot never got lit during the brisket cook. When I ramped up the KK to 350F to cook the corn after the brisket came off, the smoker pot kicked in like a Banshee and smoked the hell out of the corn! Seriously pissed for the second time today! Didn't seem to miss the extra smoke on the brisket and the corn was cooked in the shucks, so it didn't affect it either. But, I was not a happy camper, nonetheless! And yes, I started drinking at this point!!!  :wynar:

All in all, not one of the worst cooks that I've suffered through, but not one of the easiest, either. But, in the end, all that matters is the results - which were F-ing Fantastic! So, I guess all the headaches were worth it!  :occasion5:

• Like 1