Wrapped Brisket

Tony - first off, GREAT brisket cook and those money shots have me drooling like a fool! Wait, that didn't come out right! Forget the fool part :lol: Mega kudos to you! Really a very nice cook!

As for the FOGO, I don't know what to tell you. I've never had any problems such as you describe in that nice write-up. I basically just dump handfuls of lump in TheBeast until full, create a little well, fire up my MAPP torch and stick the nozzle in the wheel, and 10-15 seconds later I'm done. I leave the lid open and 5-10 minutes later come back and shut the lid, set the vents and I'm good to go after heat soaking.

No problems here. I just light up a small amount (3in) of lump in middle of the Komodo Kamado with my long handle Weed Eater and Ralph is off and running for 14 plus hours. Set it and forget it. I do insure that there is no ash in the basket. Other than that I just dump new lump on top of the unburned lump. (to top of the handles)

• Like 1

Looks great Tony!! I'm glad it worked for you. The only thing I could possibly suggest is to get some cocochar, and be done with it. I tried a few lump charcoals, but after cocochar, the rest just doesn't compare.

Robert

Been trying to give the FOGO a test run (my first bag), based upon Ken's glowing recommendation. I have about a dozen boxes of coco-char in my garage. At least with it, I know to put some regular lump around it (like Royal Oak) to help it get started. Hadn't been expecting to have similar problems with a "regular" lump charcoal. I've tried maybe 8 - 10 different brands of charcoal in the KK and this is the only one that I've had this problem with. I would have normally used coco-char on this cook, but there are some seriously large chunks in the bag of FOGO, so I didn't think I'd need to use the coco this time on a longer cook. I was correct in that thinking, this stuff burns for a long time. Not even close to running out of fuel - ONCE I got it lit!!

Tony - first off, GREAT brisket cook and those money shots have me drooling like a fool! Wait, that didn't come out right! Forget the fool part :lol: Mega kudos to you! Really a very nice cook!

As for the FOGO, I don't know what to tell you. I've never had any problems such as you describe in that nice write-up. I basically just dump handfuls of lump in TheBeast until full, create a little well, fire up my MAPP torch and stick the nozzle in the wheel, and 10-15 seconds later I'm done. I leave the lid open and 5-10 minutes later come back and shut the lid, set the vents and I'm good to go after heat soaking.

At first, I was greatly impressed with the stuff. Huge chunks in the bag, not a lot of smalls. Burns hot and fairly clean. Only initial critique was the high rate of sparking during lighting. But those early cooks were on top of other charcoal still in the basket. It's only been since I cleaned out the KK and reloaded the basket with nothing but the FOGO that I've had this problem. Trust me, both times this has happened, I've made sure to hit it with the torch until I see seriously red glow. And, I usually leave the lid open until I'm happy that the coals have lit before loading in the grates and closing the lid. Maybe I need to go back to using the chimney starter with this stuff. Going to cook some chicken in about an hour. Will use the chimney and see what happens this time.