MacKenzie

English Muffin Bake

That was sour cherry jam and I'm still waiting for that peach jam you sent to me last summer.:):):). It is fortunate that I am a patient person.

I have a plan for next summer to hook you Canadians up. We'll see how many batches I can make and how I can reasonably ship it all.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Shipping is a killer, I wanted to order an item that is about the size of a hardw covered book and weighs about 2 pounds, shipping was quoted as $58 on an item that cost $119. Guess what item I'm not ordering.

How about Canada to Canada shipping? I might be able to get it into Canada for a reasonable cost I just don't know about the final leg.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Tony, I did a scrambled egg in a zip lock bag this morning and it worked fine. Also did 2/3t heavy cream and 2/3t of 2%milk, skipped the butter, a little salt, pepper and several drops of Sriracha sauce. I did enjoy it very much, a little less rich and a little zip to it. :) Also did 10 mins then mix then 6 mins. mix and plate. Next one I'm going to do for 7 mins for the 2nd part. Just want to see what I like the best. ;)

They look fantastic MacKenzie, I like the 2 days in the fridge method, I'm quite loose with my bread that way - I was ready to bake the other day when i realised I didn't have time before my daughters play. shut down Yoda, threw the dough back in the fridge for 12 hours and reset. Doughnuts done with overnight rise in fridge are also excellent. hungry now, thanks for the inspiration again... :happy3:

Good to hear, MacKenzie. Hurray for the Sriracha!!  :hello1:

I tried the shorter time/higher temp SV for poaching eggs this morning (158F for 17 minutes, per their calculator). A disaster - one of the eggs cracked and the circulator sucked it completely out of the shell, so I had to shut it down before the Anova's insides got all gunked up. Made a big mess in the pot. I did salvage one egg as the cooking time was almost done when the disaster struck. The yolk was fine (I like runny), but the white was undercooked and not really set yet. First time this has happened, so I'm not deterred. But, I'm out of eggs until I hit the market tomorrow. 

Thanks, croadie, delaying the baking sure adds to the flavour and not being on a strict time schedule is more relaxing too. :)

tony, I can't imagine that mess, I haven't had the pleasure yet. ;) On the Anova can you stop the circulation? I'm assuming at that stage the egg must have hit something.

I don't know of any way to stop the circulation and keep the heater running. It's an integral part of their design and what makes it an improvement over similar products. 

I was a bit sloppy and just dropped the eggs into the pot when it got to temperature, might have cracked then and just got worse as the egg cooked and expanded. I did notice that the eggs were bouncing around a bit in the pot, so it could have happened later in the cook. The yolk and most of the white didn't exit the shell until very near the end of the cooking time. Will be more careful and lower them into the water with a slotted spoon next time. 

Tried the scrambled eggs this morning. 2 eggs, 2 tsp of half-n-half, tsp of butter, TB boursin cheese (chives), splash of hot sauce, S&P. Used a zipbag. SV @ 167F for 10 minutes, smoosh, then 6 minutes. Tasty, but next time, I'll make a couple of changes - less half-n-half (1 tsp), and 7 minutes on the second bath. I'd like them a bit tighter.