Nanuk

Which Komodo?

I would have to go with the 23". It's capable of more than you describe, and more, yet is easy enough to handle for small cooks. The 32", would seem to be almost overkill for the average person, but those that have them, love them. The 21" has the hi cap design, which allows for filling the lid with pork butts and the like, but you give up width on the main grate, which would be an issue for me, as I like to cook briskets, and ribs, which need the width.

I have a 19" also, and if you told me it was the only grill I could have, I'd be ok with that. After having both though, given a choice, definitely the 23".

Robert

• Like 1

Nanuk - with a family of 4 and sometimes friends, I believe I'd be inclined to get a 23" Ultimate. It will serve your needs with respect to your family quite easily and wil give you plenty of room for bigger cooks when company shows up. You can easily cook on two levels, you can do two zone cooking, and you can set up to sear. The 23" will accommodate pizzas on the upper grill. You'll also want to get the baking stone for pizzas, breads, pies, cobblers, etc. the 23 also has a basket splitter which is quite handy for smaller cooks.

Hope this helps. The real guy with the real insights is Dennis Linkletter, Mr. Komodo Kamado himself. Give him a call and tell him specifically what you want to do with your KK. He's forgotten more about helping you make the best choice for your circumstances than I'll ever know.

All the best. Please let us know what you decide.

If you only plan on having one then the 32" would be the one for me. Your family will only get bigger over time, son in laws, daughter in laws and grand kids. Its always nice to have the extra room. I went the opposite way and have multiple kamado's . Don't get me wrong a 23" has lots of room but if the little extra money is not an issue then get the biggest KK you can.

It looks like you’re already convinced, but for what it’s worth, we have a family of four, and we got the KK 23â€. It’s been perfect.

The only way I would have gotten a different model would be if I was getting two KK grills, a bigger one and a smaller one, but I knew that we would only be getting one.

Hi Robert,

I'ts matte very dark blue / black pebble.

Decided for the 23 because its my first grill, and will be the only one. I have never owned a grill.

But have grilled a lot of times at my father's home and when younger every sunday at my grandfather's.

Thats why I want to start doing it, as I have 2 young boys.

Thanks again to all for your input.

I hope you love it, I truly believe you will. This should be a great way to spend time with your boys, plus grilling some great food in the process. Post pics as often as you care to.

A rib rack is very useful if you cook ribs, and the pizza stone, pizzas are fun to make, and are delicious cooked on a grill. Did you order some cocochar? I can't recommend it enough.

Robert

Nanuk - congrats! You'll absolutely fall in love with your KK! As for accessories, that you haven't mentioned, I'd recommend the baking stone. It's the best thing I've found for pizzas, breads, and deserts.

You may also want to consider the rotisserie. I love mine and have done a number of different cooks with it ... chickens, Cornish Game Hens, rib roasts, etc. the basket design is unique and keeps the food quite moist. It's very easy to master. The rotisserie adds a whole new dimension to your KK and my guests and I love the food done on the rotisserie.

I'd also recommend, as did Robert above, getting some KK Extruded Coconut Charcoal. It's a real game changer for low-n-slow cooks. If you get the Coconut Char, I'd also recommend getting a second charcoal basket ... one for your regular lump and one for the Coconut Char. That second basket makes changing out charcoal so incredibly easy. You'll want to conserve your Coconut Char for low-n-slows, special cooks where you want a neutral flavor, i.e. deserts, breads, etc.

All the best on your new KK!

When I ordered my KK 23â€, I picked up the tables, baking stone, basket splitter, and the rotisserie.

Rib racks can be useful, but it depends on how many racks of ribs you’ll be cooking. I can get 6 racks of ribs into Smaug.

15441695907_d15bbcd741_c.jpg

The other thing to consider is where you’re getting your ribs from. The cook seen above was for us and another family. I figured that since I could put away a rack of ribs at a restaurant, I needed 6 racks altogether. As it turned out, I way overestimated the amount of ribs I needed. When you start getting your own ribs, they will be much meatier than what you see in a restaurant. The local butcher that I use has ribs that are so meaty that I can barely finish a half rack. These days, I’m only cooking two racks of baby backs for my family, and we expect that there will be leftovers.

LIke others have suggested, load up the shipping crate with boxes of cocochar, I think you can get about 15 boxes on the top. Most economical way to ship it. It will last you a long time if you only use it for the really long cooks (> 6 hours). 

Since you ordered the basket splitter, get the second charcoal basket to go with it. Just swap them back and forth with the full sized one. Make thing so much simpler. 

I just got the new pizza stone design (conforms to the shape of the top grate). Loved the original round one, but it didn't fit my grate so well and got beaten up over time. A "must have" if you like doing pizza, breads, etc. on the grill or want to learn how!!

Hang on, you are in for the ride of your life once your KK arrives!!

Hello again,

After a lot of thought and already ordered a 23, I called Dennis and changed the order for a 32. The call was in time, right before it shipped from Calif.

So ordered the 32 with side tables, basket splitter, baking stone and cover.

Thanks again 

• Like 1