Nanuk

How do you start your Fire?

As you can see may ways to start the fire. In the short time I've been kamadoing I've used fire cubes and now have moved to a torch. My opinions of each. A fire starter is more then enough for a low and slow but for high temps and direct grilling the fire starter is not the best since you need to light in multiple spots.

A torch works good for low and slow, light one spot and your on your way. The torch really shine for high temp and direct grilling since its very easy to light multiple spots to get the whole top of the charcoal lit.

I started out cotton balls and alcohol and swore by it. I then went to MAPP and realized what I had been missing.

Recently I tried propane. The problem with propane is that it won't stay lit when the bottle is held upside down. MAPP doesn't have that problem.

A simple MAPP torch is the best way to go. Also works great for lighting cigars and fireworks - LOL

post-249-0-92703000-1438833113_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-27955600-1438833122_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-81624500-1438833131_thumb.jpg

Position the hose clamp so it rests on the KK rim, with the wand pinned the other way under the charcoal basket. Reposition a few times if desired.

MAPP gas burns hotter than propane. It could help with coconut lump, but I've stopped keeping it around, and propane can light anything if one is patient.

I think I'm pretty good at sweating pipes. However, sweating pipes with MAPP gas compared to propane is like landing a jet compared to a prop plane.  Everything happens twice as fast. My joints weren't up to my standards, and I reverted to propane so I could work more slowly. This is a good reason not to have MAPP gas around, avoid the temptation of using it...

Syzygies, how, and why, is the inside of your grill so clean??

The short answer is I lean OCD. Dennis attracts this type.

The majority of my cooks are high temperature, and I tend to avoid two low & slow cooks in a row. Bread, chicken, steak, paella. I keep the fire going, and chase cooks with some eggplants, or a foil-covered cazuela filled with potato and onion slices, salt pepper paprika and olive oil, an ideal base for nontraditionally prepared Spanish tortillas (egg frittatas). Or what's left of a fire is ideal for seasoning carbon steel pans like a paella pan. Empty, I sometimes let the fire go to 700 F afterwards, which approaches a self-cleaning oven effect.

I always clean after a low & slow, especially the grates. Most of my mess is collected into a 16" foil-lined terra cotta plant saucer, my heat deflector / drip pan. I'm bucking a pretty strong cultural tradition not to clean up much after barbecue; when I'm out having Weber chicken I can taste the rancid burning fat. Outdoor vendors in Thailand don't need to clean, because they're cooking nonstop. I don't like to leave low & slow remnants in my cooker.

My habits destroyed my off-brand K7. I'm not sure Dennis would encourage my habits with a KK, but yes it still looks close to new.

• Like 2

It seems to me that the with the long weed burner is safer than to go inside with a torch and light the coal.

I use a long weed burner with a camping gas bottle. Last forever. Flame is total control. Open bottle all the way. If you hear click start all over. Flame control is knob on unit. Have used around 7 years.