wilburpan

Quick and dirty rotisserie Peking duck

I'm excited to try Sijiminfu. Over the last 12 years in China I've tried most places; the big ones like Da Dong and Quan Ju De as well as many small independent ones. Previous favorites include a small family run place in Nanjing (yep, I know: my favorite Beijing duck is in Nanjing, but hey, They've got great ducks there!)

I live in Shanghai but have a Beijing trip next month and I'll put this on the top of my list as I LOVE Beijing duck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, the skin was mostly good, but there were some areas that were not as brown as I would have liked. There are several factors that could have led to this. The big one is the shortened air drying time. I don’t think there’s any good way of shortcutting this step.

I've heard that a hairdryer can work as a shortcut: not perfect but can bring the time down in a pinch.

You've given me a bright idea! I have a big duck in the freezer and was looking for inspiration. My in-laws are staying with us at the moment from North East China so I think I'll try your method. Although I don't have a KK yet so the rotisserie on my electric oven will have to suffice... 😭

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to totally derail the excellent Peking Duck cook thread but you can also use the whippits to make a sous vide cooked scrambled egg fluff....among other alternative uses.

That sounds interesting and fun to do. Dammit, another f-ing gadget to buy and find a home for in my kitchen!!!

I'm excited to try Sijiminfu. Over the last 12 years in China I've tried most places; the big ones like Da Dong and Quan Ju De as well as many small independent ones. Previous favorites include a small family run place in Nanjing (yep, I know: my favorite Beijing duck is in Nanjing, but hey, They've got great ducks there!)

I live in Shanghai but have a Beijing trip next month and I'll put this on the top of my list as I LOVE Beijing duck!

I hope you like Sijiminfu half as much as I did. I know that they have 3-4 locations in Beijing. The one I went to was located near the north end of the Wangfujing mall.

They had a few different ways of preparing Peking duck, each more elaborate than the last. Go for the most expensive option. They also had a stir fried duck liver dish on the menu that was amazing. Based on my experience, I think it’s impossible to order a bad dish there.

How do y'all think canned air would work on the duck?

I had spent last night looking into Whip-its and canned air, and then I was reminded that one way of doing this was to use a bicycle pump. I know what I’ll be doing the next time I make duck. Using a bike pump should also avoid the water/oil nastiness from using a compressor.

I had spent last night looking into Whip-its and canned air, and then I was reminded that one way of doing this was to use a bicycle pump. I know what I’ll be doing the next time I make duck. Using a bike pump should also avoid the water/oil nastiness from using a compressor.

I'd put those boys of yours on the business end of that bicycle pump! Nothing like a good life lesson. Everything has a price! ;)