bosco

ribs and chicken

My dad wanted to stop by for dinner as my mom is away in Portugal with some friends for vacation.

So... why not.  Got up this morning and had two racks of sides and a nice yardbird ready for some treatment.  Went outside to light the grills and this is what I see

_DSC1179.jpg

so the weather channel says no rain but it sure looked like it... 

Moving forward lets start with the ribs

John Henry's Peach rub is still one of my favourites!!!  cut sides to St. Louis cut and here we go

Look at the moisture sucking out of these babies!!!

_DSC1166.jpg

Of course I will use my favourite wood chunks.  Peach wood from fruita wood in texas (This was the last, ordering another 50lbs)

_DSC1171.jpg

got the grill heated to 225 for an hour and threw the wood chunks in

look at these babies, honestly, I am not a huge pork guy but these are looking good

_DSC1172.jpg

_DSC1174.jpg

close that lid up and cooked for 6 hours, spritzed a few time with apple juice and cider vinegar

Still nervous about the rain, I added a little protection to the big joe

_DSC1176.jpg

loaded the Joe Jr. up with lump about 4 hours into the cook.  Cooked this puppy at 375 indirect for 1 hour and 20 min.  hit IT of 165 and pulled it

_DSC1183.jpg

and done

_DSC1186.jpg

pulled the ribs and let them rest for 15 min, one was sauced the other naked!!!!

_DSC1187.jpg

_DSC1190.jpg

Hit this meal up with some fries from the chip wagon down the street

Man this was a killer meal!!!

_DSC1192.jpg

Lovely cook, bosceaux! I love those ribs and I'd throw a tooth to that chicken any time. I really like that plated picture. Kudos!

Ok, so I'll bite. What's a chips wagon? I know chips are what you UK folks call french fries, but I'm not certain as to the wagon part.

Thanks in advance for the explanation!

Oh, hey bosceaux! Did the space-time continuum revert to normal speed for a few hours here?

speeds are reverted back to 14/4 dial up buddy!!

chip wagon, fry truck??

Locally we have converted food truck/stands that are permanent structures in a set area throughout the city.  They make the best fried... everything.  fish and chips are great and the fresh hand cut fries are out of this world!!!

Those ribs are real beauties. Nothing wrong with that yardbird either. I'll bet your Dad was impressed with all that yummy food.

Looking very good Bosco, your Dad must have been very happy. :)

I was vegetarian for 19 years... however, I still ate chicken and fish.  I have been back on red meat and pork for about 4 years now.  I love red meat, however, pork is a love hate for me.  My dad however, is a machine with pork.  He loves my ribs and I am more than happy to cook for him whenever I can as to spend more time with him!!

My mom loves it, because she doesn't need to cook lol

bosceaux - that first cook is unforgettable!

Vegetarian, huh! How was it getting back on red meat and pork? Why the change? You do know that pork is days is more lean than beef, right? Pork lately has gotten so lean you have to be especially attentive or it over cooks in a big hurry. Pork is harder for me to get spot on these days than chicken breasts. Major league thanks to Thermapen!