tinyfish

My new BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan

Thought it was time to upgrade my fan on my temperature control unit from Aubrins.com. I bought the original unit for my bullet smoker which only needed a 6.5CFM fan. That fan wasn't cutting it on the KK.

The Pit Viper fan is like night and day compared to the old fan. The Pit Viper is very powerful and should make a big difference. post-2313-0-70006200-1442760563_thumb.jp

that sounds like a good one.  I have toyed with the idea of getting the cyber Q wifi, but just not sure that I need it.  I look forward to hearing more of how you use it and overall thoughts as you go

My control unit is way cheaper then a CyberQ, I think I paid $125USD and its not wifi but it does the job. I only use the fan for peace of mind when I do an overnight brisket. I know the fan is not necessary on a KK but I just program my temp in the unit and I go to sleep and I don't give it another thought.

I have thought about a CyberQ myself but I would never need to change the temp from what I programmed at the beginning so I'll save the money.

My 6.5CFM fan most times was fine but the biggest problem was that the fan wont sit in the BBQ Guru port. The fan was made to fit in a bullet type smoker. I had to tie a string around the fan then around the body of the KK to get any kind if seal. The string wouldn't stay in place it would slip down on the body of the KK then the fan would move out of place. So I said to myself I have the Rolls Royce of grills I can spend $100 to get the fan that fits the port properly.

First off, I love my DigiQ-II. Won't do a long low & slow cook without it. 

Like others, I have the 10 cfm fan and never have the damper wide open - typically 25% open. On windy days, the KK will draw enough air through the fan when it's not running if the damper is close to wide open, and your temperature will get away from you. Once you're a couple of degrees above the setpoint, the Guru will just quit running the fan and your temperature will either continue to rise (if the damper is wide open), or your fire will starve and go out if the wind stops. It's just another technique you have to learn when cooking on a KK is all.

I find that if I clamp down on the top vent too much, smoke backs out of every other spot it can find - probe port, out the closed bottom dampers (front and back) - and I have a small gasket leak, too. So, lately it's been better to leave the top damper open just off the seat so I get the proper draw/air flow through the KK. YMMV.

I have the same fan and it does work great, but with the KK I have found I can regulate the temp just fine without the use of a fan (I formerly owned another brand of kamado where the power draft was practically a necessity). I only use it now for very low and slow cooks, like pulled pork.

I have the same fan and it does work great, but with the KK I have found I can regulate the temp just fine without the use of a fan (I formerly owned another brand of Komodo where the power draft was practically a necessity). I only use it now for very low and slow cooks, like pulled pork.

I agree KJS I only use the fan as a security blanket for my overnight brisket cooks.