mhzeman

Just Received My 22" Komodo

I have to say the purchasing a Komodo Kamado sight unseen was not easy.  Even more difficult was picking the type and color of the tile.  While I have made more expensive purchases over the years, I am not sure I have made one that I was more anxious about.

Let me say that everything about this product is amazing.  From the ordering process to the delivery and ultimately to the final product, my hopes and expectations have been surpasses.  The Komodo itself is an absolute beast.  The quality is evident everywhere, from the hinge mechanism & front latch, to the tilework not one detail has been missed.  As an engineer, I particularly loved the custom made stainless steel hex wrench which was probably not necessary, but absolutely appreciated.

But as good as the product is, the best part of this purchase has been the customer service.  The website says that when you call you will speak to Dennis.  I figured that would be the case after going through a few other people.  But he means what he says.  Every time I have had a question, he has answered the phone and has had great advice and imparted a bit of wisdom to someone that loves to cook but doesn't exactly have a lot of experience with ceramic grills.

If any of you are on the fence and unsure of the Komodo Kamado, let me tell you that it is better than you think and you will not be disappointed.  If you think it looks good on a website, wait till you see it in person.  If you think it is pretty good quality, wait till you inspect the craftsmanship.  If you think you will get decent customer service, wait till you talk to Dennis.

If you love to grill and smoke, and if you enjoy knowing you have the best product available, the Komodo Kamado is for you.

Mike Zeman

Komodo.jpg

Tiles.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies!

The Vibrant Blue is everything the name suggests.  I didn't know what to think when I ordered it...I really like the look of the rectangular tiles and everyone I asked gave me a different opinion on the color.  No one suggested Vibrant Blue or the Pebble tile.  I had 3 choices in mind and at the last second, after talking to Dennis, I ordered a something completely different.  The funny thing was that he took it off inventory (and the internet) while we were on the phone, so I literally had no idea what it looked like.  I second guessed myself until the day it arrived.  But when I saw it, I was stunned.  The tiles are spectacular - like nothing I have ever seen.  The name Vibrant Blue sums it up perfectly.  Aside from being a marvel of engineering and a spectacular grill, they are a work of art and an irresistible conversation piece.

I do a lot of cooking with sous vide and at first really wanted something that would do a great final sear, so I didn't need a huge grill.  I was considering of a BGE or Primo but didn't like the look of their tables or stands and when I saw this online, I couldn't stop thinking about the look of the KK.  In terms of size, I am not sure how I ended up with the 21".  I probably just slowly stepped my ever-changing budget up in small steps until I reached my breaking point and pulled the trigger.   Not to say I won't eventually give it a 32" big brother, but for now, I am more than satisfied. 

Last night I finally did the full break in and got to test it on a 2" thick New York at 750 that I had Sous Vide'd to 122 degrees.  It was absolutely spectacular and like nothing I have ever had at home before.  I thought I knew how to make a great steak, but apparently I have been using the wrong tool all these years:-)

Tonight was grilled salmon and shrimp pasta Alfredo...can't wait to decide what to grill tomorrow!!

- Mike Z

post-2529-0-44711600-1443157878_thumb.jp

post-2529-0-19174300-1443157886_thumb.jp

Mike, I agree Sous Vide steak seared on the grill is awesome and that is just how yours turned out.:)  I just get the lump going by lighting a lot of it with the torch, leave the top open and once those coals are burning put the steak on. No need to heat up the entire KK as the temp. just above the lump is plenty hot for searing ;):)