mhzeman

Just Received My 22" Komodo

Thanks MacKenzie on the searing advice - I never really thought about just getting the fire going instead of the whole KK.  Should definitely save me a few bags of charcoal a week (especially with the rate I have been cooking on it!)  Over the weekend, I tried a couple of pizzas and have to say they were the best I have ever made.  A few years ago, I got a little obsessed and made pizza two or three a week for about 6 months, usually in the oven but often in the BBQ and can tell you that none compared to the texture when cooked in a KK.  It is essentially a pizza oven in terms of its heat characteristics and being able to heat the stone to 500 then quickly increase the air them temp to 600 provided a perfect crust and toppings.  Can't wait to do it again.

Of course I had to do ribs as well.  I have been doing them for years on a Traeger and always thought they were great, but they seemed a bit over-smoked and not as juicy as I would like.  The ribs on the KK were very different.  I used some apple and hickory chunks that definitely gave a nice wood flavor, but it wasn't overbearing.  More important, they retained nearly all their moisture even though I cooked them at a higher them than I had previously.  

The thing I love most about the Komodo Kamado is its ability to be flexible - both in terms of temperature and in terms of flavor.  Low and slow? No problem.  Incredible high heat?  Easy done.  Smokey? Absolutely.  Clean flavor with just a hint of wood?  It can do that too.

I can't say that i have it all completely figured out yet, but I can say that I am really enjoying the process and the family has certainly been eating very good this week!

Thanks again,

Mike Zeman

• Like 1

I finally ordered the rotisserie (after a whopping 2 weeks of owning a Komodo) and love it! I did 2 chickens the other night and the flavor was unreal.  So I was excited to do a pork loin.  But I also was tempted to do ribs on a rotisserie.  Then it hit me - why not wrap a pork loin inside of baby back rips and throw them on the rotisserie?  I'm sure someone has done this before, but I don't recall ever seeing it in any of my BBQ books and wasn't quite sure how to tackle it.  So i put 3 racks of baby backs around a large pork loin, tied it all together, trimmed it and wrapped the ribs around the end.  Then put it in the rotisserie at 325 for about 3 hours.  The result was amazing and definitely something I will do again.  Kinda the best of both worlds - pork ribs and thick pork meat  flavored by the bones.  Not bad for a Tuesday night :icon_smile:

The orange gloop next to the meat doesn't look that great, but was actually sweet potatoes that i cooked for an hour in the charcoal then mashed with pecans, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt.  I've never really liked sweet potato, but when charred in the coals, they are incredible!

BTW - have I mentioned that I love my Komodo Kamado?

post-2529-0-75803200-1445401389_thumb.jp

post-2529-0-66500500-1445401398_thumb.jp

• Like 2

On 10/20/2015 at 9:23 PM, mhzeman said:

I finally ordered the rotisserie (after a whopping 2 weeks of owning a Komodo) and love it! I did 2 chickens the other night and the flavor was unreal.  So I was excited to do a pork loin.  But I also was tempted to do ribs on a rotisserie.  Then it hit me - why not wrap a pork loin inside of baby back rips and throw them on the rotisserie?  I'm sure someone has done this before, but I don't recall ever seeing it in any of my BBQ books and wasn't quite sure how to tackle it.  So i put 3 racks of baby backs around a large pork loin, tied it all together, trimmed it and wrapped the ribs around the end.  Then put it in the rotisserie at 325 for about 3 hours.  The result was amazing and definitely something I will do again.  Kinda the best of both worlds - pork ribs and thick pork meat  flavored by the bones.  Not bad for a Tuesday night :-)

The orange gloop next to the meat doesn't look that great, but was actually sweet potatoes that i cooked for an hour in the charcoal then mashed with pecans, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and salt.  I've never really liked sweet potato, but when charred in the coals, they are incredible!

BTW - have I mentioned that I love my Komodo Kamado?

Finished.jpg

Served.jpg

This is just BAD ASS!

• Like 2