ckreef

Butchering a Baby Wild Hog

A hunter friend from time to time gives me a baby wild hog. Not exactly wild more a baby ferel hog. Last time I got one I curled it up and cooked it on the Akron with only marginal success. The problem is some of the standard cuts like ribs and bone in pork chops have so little meat in that area (at this size) that they are hardly worth the effort.

I got another one today (skinned, gutted, no head, no feet) so I decided to butcher the better cuts straight off the carcass. I don't have a band saw. I don't have a proper bone saw. I am not a butcher and I don't know what I'm doing but here's what I ended up with.

2 bone in shoulders and 2 bone in hams. Ruler for size reference.

03296a2128aa6af44dc9a8aa248ef097.jpg

A boneless Boston butt. Actually it's a double butt. Cut both Boston butt sides off the carcass at the same time leaving them connected. Weighs in at 1.4 lbs - I figure 3 sandwiches maybe for lunch tomorrow - LOL

Lastly we have the butchers prizes.

At the top is 2 loins. At the bottom is the 2 micro sized Tenderloins. The Tenderloins show you just how small this hog was. I figure those 4 pieces are going on the Yakatori on evening

806f4722fd135cd2864e6861967c4480.jpg

If there are any butchers out there don't laugh too hard - I said I didn't know what I was doing.

Edited by ckreef