cruzmisl

Pictures of bird on roti.

Here they are. I rubbed the bird under the skin with unsalted butter, rosemary, garlic and salt and pepper. The bird was very juicy and the skin was tasty. I cooked it at 400 but think next time I'll up the temp to 475 in hopes of trying to get a crisper skin.

MY only question is how do I reduce the amount of smoke produced by the juices dripping? I tried no pan and it was smoky, I tried the pan which didn't really help. I was going to put water in the pan but was afraid it would steam the bird and give me rubbery skin.

Any ideas or is that par for the course?

Thanks,

Joe

bird1.jpg

bird2.jpg

I feel your pain. I did a chicken on the meat hanger, and my neighbor came over, thinking the house was on fire. Smoked up the neighborhood. Next time, a pan under it helped, and the skin was crispy good! I think that big a pan might keep all the hot from reaching your sizzly bird. Maybe switch to a pie pan size for a single bird? That's all I needed.

Re: Pictures of bird on roti.

Any ideas or is that par for the course?

I got this one covered... A heat deflector and some air space below the drip pan. Typically I use a pizza stone as the heat deflector and lay three or four small broken pieces of pizza stone (though a couple of pieces of gravel would work fine) on top of the pizza stone and then set the drip pan on top of that. Without the air space, the drippings still spatter and smoulder and impart a nasty flavor, though not as badly as with no heat deflector at all.

Cruise,

Why are you worried about all the smoke? Is it the neighbors or the taste, or is the smoke over powering your deck? Just curious.

Chicken seems to get bad tasting really quick if the smoke gets too heavy. I am with him on this one, very light smoke - I use no smoke wood at all with chicken. Also like Gerard said, the dripping on just a stone can be pretty funky.

-=Jasen=-