bosco

bosco's apple smoked apple roses

watched a cook video circulating on Facebook and as soon as I saw it, my wife and I said that I should try it.  I have been dying to try an apple pie on the kamado, and just never got around to it.  

Well today I got the joe up to 375, and added a little bit of apple wood for flavour.  So here is my spin on apple roses.  Turned out really good... a few things that I may do differently next time but the overall flavour was wild!!  Thanks for looking and these were really fun to make.

List of ingredients

_DSC1269.jpg

cut some apples into thin slices.  mixed in a bath with water and a half of a lemon to prevent discolouration.  Then microwaved the apples for 3 minutes to soften them.

_DSC1270.jpg

rolled out some pie crusts and cut them into rectangles

_DSC1273.jpg

mixed some apricot pure with water and microwaved it for a few minutes 

_DSC1275.jpg

Ok now to put it all together. Coat the pastry in the apricot spread.  Add apples, slightly overlapping them and then sprinkle with cinnamon

_DSC1276.jpg

slowly roll them up and place them in the rack

_DSC1279.jpg

there they are ready to bake!!

Throw them on the kamado at 375 and hit them with some smoke and let them go for about 45 min.  I went slightly over that but keep an eye around the 40-45 min mark.  

_DSC1278.jpg

Brought them in and let them rest for a few minutes then took the out of the rack.

And last but not least... sprinkle with icing sugar.  

_DSC1290.jpg

_DSC1294.jpg

_DSC1292_1.jpg

_DSC1296.jpg

The mix of the smoke and the sweet from the apricot pure, apples and icing sugar was a home run.  The pastry crust was crisp and really good!!!  Man I will do these again and again and again !!!!

They were honestly lights out!!! They were crispy yet light and airy. They were sweet but not too sweet. Reminded me of German baking when I went to Europe. They were so good!!

Haven't decided yet about entry ckreef. I really want to try and make bread first. But may be the entry as they look really nice