MacKenzie

Perfect Soft SV Egg

Did this two days in a row and the eggs turned out perfect. All of the white cooked and the yolk was nice and creamy. Start with eggs at room temperature, SV exactly at 167F, set the timer for 15 mins (this is Important). Remove the egg and place it in cold water for several seconds.

This morning's egg-

723n8al.jpg

The pixs don't really show how creamy the yoke but if you taste one you will never forget it and white also tasty.

IbZdALl.jpg

Yesterday's breakfast.

d2dkUPo.jpg

Syzygies, interesting article, thanks for the link.:) I laughed out loud when I read the bit about using the Dermal to open the egg.  :sign5: Not saying that I wont' be trying that because I probably will. I've tried many a technique for SV eggs and by far the simplest and quickest is the one I just posted. As you mentioned the trick is the yoke and the white done. These eggs are so addictive, it's that creamy smooth texture that does it.:) My biggest problem is the eggs I get are sooo fresh the membrane is not easily separated. I could store a dozen for a couple of weeks and see how that works.;)

Still experimenting with time/temp combos. I love the "classic" of 142F for 50 minutes, but that's a long time to wait for breakfast.

Today it was 162F for 17 minutes, 20 secs. Close, but still not there. Whites were almost set, still needed a spoon vs a fork to eat them. The yolk was just set, very creamy, but not runny at all. Served with leftover country ribs from dinner.

post-975-0-49449200-1454277670_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-52520400-1454277688_thumb.jpg

When you finally get the perfect egg with repeatable results you know I'm going to buy a SV just to make eggs. I love perfect poached eggs. Firm white and runny yolk.

The big question is how are you going to compensate for different sized eggs. Not all LG eggs are created equal.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

My eggs are from a local supplier, so they don't vary much in size. The shell color does though - various shade of brown. However, I am on the look out for Grade AA eggs, as I hear that they are head and shoulders above the standard Grade A eggs.

Charles, your "perfect" poached egg is readily achievable - 142F for 50 minutes. I'm just trying to find a shortcut, as 50 minutes is a long time for cooking breakfast. But, I'll use that time/temp for poached eggs for supper (think carbonara) when I have the time.

If you do want to get that picky about small variations in egg size, there are SV calculators that can factor that in to the time/temp equations.

I hear the clock counting down to you finally ordering an Anova, Charles! You know you want one! Just admit it and buy the damned thing all ready! LOL