vkl

Is the 32" too big?

Size to technique is like a pitcher with no balls.

All Komodo Kamados are "Out Of The Box" units that scientifically enhance your culinary skills.

Size is an individual sport about volume and/or many other variables.

Technique is is the road to quality.

"All Komodo Kamado units - Can Do if You Will Do"

For me the 32" is the perfect size. You can do large cooks or just cook for two, it is an extremely versatile cooker.

Hi kjs,

I'm thinking of getting either a 23 or a 32 and can't make up my mind!

My only concern with the 32 is cooking smaller weeknight meals for my wife and I. How would you handle small cooks on your 32?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi kjs,

I'm thinking of getting either a 23 or a 32 and can't make up my mind!

My only concern with the 32 is cooking smaller weeknight meals for my wife and I. How would you handle small cooks on your 32?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomahawk - I too own a 32", TheBeast so I understand your concerns. To handle small cooks, I simply use the basket splitter. It's adjustable to,a point and makes the 32" very well behaved for small cooks.

That basket splitter gives you great flexibility. You have all the size for those large cooks and at the same time you get all the advantages of a smaller grill when you only want to do a single hotdog!

TheBeast and all other 32s are amazingly versatile.

My guess is that they all take about the same time to heat soak. It's just that  a bigger one is going to burn a lot more fuel getting there. I have a 21", but have only done low and slow cooks so far. I throw the food on after 45 minutes (once the blue smoke starts flowing) and let it come up to final temperature slowly. No sense in wasting fuel and time waiting. It takes another 4 hours before the dome and grate are within 10 degrees. They start off around 35 degrees apart. Hopefully that gives you an idea how long a true heat soak takes.

But how long does it take to heat soak? A lot longer than a 23? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you asking how long it takes to get to a certain temp?  That depends on your vent settings and how many spots are lit in your lump pile.  I can get my 32 to 400F in a manner of minutes if I leave the dome open and the vents wide open.  Conversely, I can close the dome, clamp down on my vents, and it'll take 2 hours to get to 400F.

Now if you're asking how long does it take at 400F to get the body completely up to 400F and the 32 to be completely heat soaked at that temp, I don't really know.  I've never measured the rate at which the 32 heat soaks because it depends on some many variables.  For instance, what is the temperature of the 32 body prior to you starting the fire.  On a hot Oklahoma City Day, with my pebble black sitting in the sun, it doesn't take nearly as long as on a cold evening 20F night and the 32 has been sitting outside for days at 20F.  YEs, we have those kinds of days here in OKC.

I know that if I start my fire in 3 spots and I want to heat soak my 32 at 500F for a pizza cook, that within the hour I'm sitting at 500F and the dome is at 500F.  Great pizza.  In general, I heat soak my 32 for about an hour at temp and everything works out wonderfully.

HI, Ken. Glad to see you posting again. Hopefully it means your life is calming down a bit.

it doesn't take nearly as long as on a cold evening 20F night and the 32 has been sitting outside for days at 20F.  Yes, we have those kinds of days here in OKC.

We call that "balmy" here in Iowa!