vkl

Is the 32" too big?

Where I live it usually ranges from 85-90F year round. If it gets down to 80 people start saying it's cold!

So I guess heat soaking won't be an issue for me!

@CeramicChef: I've seen your photos of the beast with the basket splitter on and it's very impressive! Looks like the perfect split for creating a direct/indirect zone for grilling! I assume that if you are doing a low and slow cook you still use the whole basket but just keep the vents locked down tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I live it usually ranges from 85-90F year round. If it gets down to 80 people start saying it's cold!

So I guess heat soaking won't be an issue for me!

@CeramicChef: I've seen your photos of the beast with the basket splitter on and it's very impressive! Looks like the perfect split for creating a direct/indirect zone for grilling! I assume that if you are doing a low and slow cook you still use the whole basket but just keep the vents locked down tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BINGO!  You are spot on, tomahawk!  Easy Peasy cooking on a KK.  If I can figure it out, anyone can!

I've now owned my 32" big bad for 2 weeks or so and I can categorically state that it is perfect!

Honestly, if you are looking to buy a KK and only plan to get one (ok... So that was the original plan but I kinda want another now lol!) then there are very few reasons why you wouldn't get a 32 in my opinion.

The first and most valid is space/weight. For example Cookie on the forum lives in a pent house in Singapore and there is flat out no way that he could have got a 32 up the stairs to his "Sky terrace". The 32 is big and heavy for sure.

Other than a logistical reason like that: I really don't see why not go for a 32. It's SO flexible! And when you are investing in a piece of equipment like this the cost difference between a 23 and a 32 isn't as important as it seems on paper.

That only leaves the argument that you don't need the size and don't want to light up a heap of lump for a quick dinner for two. With the basket splitter this isn't an issue: I can cut down my charcoal use to 50% of a full 23 basket using the splitter, and it's super easy to put in and take out. Plus it crates an excellent indirect zone.

The key advantage of the 32 though is grill space, let's be honest; most Kamados are not great for a classic bangers and burger cook but the 32 gives you the real estate to do this

a7c7a61e11703e783f347ba54ffd3915.jpg

This is honestly the first and last BBQ/smoker/pizza oven/grill I will ever own: I needed it to excel at everything and it does!

I'm not saying anything against the other sizes but realistically the 32 is the best multi tasker. I love to be able to chuck in the basket splitter covering 75% of the basket and get the coals ready to sear off 2 sous vide steak or chicken or salmon or [insert protein of choice here] in 10 mins on a week night or chuck in a 10 lbs pork butt or 2 (or 6!) at the weekend and watch it hardly consume half of a basket of coco char over 12 hours at 250.

I can't wait to get back from business travel and find me a 30 lbs whole hog for my housewarming party!!

All the KKs are excellent, but to me, my big blue "R2-D2" isn't just a jack-of-all-traits but a true master!

63df0ee6d8b96e4063fabb8018d00555.jpg

Oliver, In Singapore. Cobalt Blue 32

Excellent post, i too was wondering if the 32" was going to be too big and thought to order the 23". However after a long think about it and summing up how i cook and want to cook on it now and in the future, i decided to go with the 32". Also with the option of using the rotisserie inside of it i may be able to get rid of my spit at some stage to save some room in the backyard if required.

While i have not received mine yet (hopefuly in the next 2 weeks) i cant wait to cook on it knowing with posts like this explaining why certain people purchased the same size 32" as i did i have made the correct decision.

Ill be sure to post up some pics once it arrives.

starting to get a bit excited. :)

Seriously cant wait to show you all the one i got. I have not seen that colour from any posts here on the board, so im keen to post up some pics once its delivered over the next 2 weeks. Ill start a bit of a thread when the time comes.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on their 32" Komodo? Im sure there are some other 32" owners out there on the board.

One of the times I was talking to Dennis, he explained that if you stand in the center of the 32 KK, almost anyone can reach out and touch either side of the grill.  The depth is also within the reach of most people.   He explained that even though a few people think that it might be too large/big for them, it really is very functional and friendly for anyone.

That's when I told him I had long monkey arms and asked him to make me an even larger KK for the cottage.     :idea:     

After seeing Bosco's 32" KK...............Old Monkey Arms here is having second thoughts about the new 42"KK..............might be just a little too big for my cooking style (weight for the deck also). .  

The 32" is really a nice sized grill.  The cooking grid size and shape is excellent.  It is NOT too big.

One of the main reasons I purchased my two Primo kamado's was the oval shape and the flexibility.  From what I saw yesterday, the 32 provides most of those advantages plus all the additional KK features & quality.

Crap...............now I have to fly to Indonesia to visit Dennis and see the new 42" KK.......unless Bosco orders one next week  :thumbup: