MacKenzie

5 Pounds of Breakfast Bacon in the Making

I have another 5 pound section of pork belly that is done curing and did the wash out this morning in my dedicated cooler which I'm able to keep in my walk in cooler this time of the year. It is great to have the walk in cooler saves a lot of lugging and trying to get things fit into the fridge. The only problem is I had to spent 1.5 hours before breakfast snow blowing and shoveling to make it presentable. :) That also included the paths to the bird feeders and bird bath. Those critters are so lucky to have me working for them free of charge. ;) Well that's not quite true they do have to sing for their breakfast. :)

Did one 4 hours soak out. So this how Eagle Eyes Jon, knows I work in my slippers.

Dv3sQZ8.jpg

Normally I don't test before drying and smoking but I have been out of bacon and just wanted a taste so took a small slice of the end.

U3LMEmS.jpg

Right now it is drying and equalizing in the beer fridge. Tomorrow it will be smoked.

dstr8, it is on to smoke as I write and this time I used cherry, apple and some maple chips. A couple more hours and it should be done. I don't think I'll slice it until tomorrow as I want to make sure it is very cold throughout.  I am planning to cut off a couple of slices for tomorrow's breakfast, who could resist.;)

I'm still buying, but at least it's artisan from my local butcher. It's pretty good, but I know mine will be better. I laugh, as it's "no nitrates added" bacon, but uses celery juice to claim it's natural. I'll stick to pink salt and not play those games. Not a big fan of botulism.