Fetzervalve

Temp control

i light the coals with both drafts wide open. after coals are lit, i shut both drafts completely and then adjust according to the temps i want. right now, i've only got my low and slow down. lower draft fine tune dialed 1/2 open, upper draft opened 1/2 turn. adjust from there. so far with my high temp cooks its catch as catch can. once i finally dial it down tho, it stays there!

The KK is very easy to control the temps. On mine the top is open a little less than 1/4 quarter turn and the low and slow adjustment is open about 1/8 inch, for 225. :D:D You can stand out next to the cooker and play with the top adjustment and see the change very quickly, not quite as fast with the lower draft adjustment but still pretty quick. :)

Temp Control

For low temps, I usually close the top and then turn it with one hand and hold the other hand above the edge of the damper top until I can feel the heat rising. Then I go down below and fine tune.. As long as you feel the heat, your coals/burn won't die. Remember this is all about keeping the heat in and reducing airflow so your food won't dry out.