wilburpan

Built a storage unit for my KK grill accessories

Well, storage unit may be overstating things a bit.  It’s basically an open shelving unit. But it’s nice to have a place for the various accessories for Smaug.

The first step in this project was the most important: making a list of what I needed to store and diagramming how I was going to do it. I went through three different designs before I finally settled on the final one. In addition, I wanted the storage unit to fit in a particular corner on my back porch, so there were dimensional concerns as well.

I started the actual build with some 2x8’s and some 1x4 pine boards.

22460779457_ce30de7083_c.jpg

I cut the 2x8’s in half long ways, and milled them down to make the frames for the bases of the two shelves. By the way, if you’re ever looking to make a project out of 2x4’s, and if you have the time and the means to do so, I would suggest buying 2x8’s and cutting them in half lengthwise instead. The wood you’ll find in a 2x8 is much better than in a 2x4.

22890294931_06d7ca8faa_c.jpg

I could have butted and screwed the boards together, but I decided to use half lap joints at the corners, for added strength.

22257990383_90a1cd309c_c.jpg

After assembling the frame, I screwed pieces of 1x4 to the top to make one of the two shelves. I repeated this process to make a second shelf.

22879121655_6dd6caf30d_c.jpg

Next, I went back to the 2x material, and cut out pieces for the four corners.

22257977413_7f2e8cbc8a_c.jpg

I installed them onto the bottom shelf.

22256371284_b867ae5501_c.jpg

And then placed the top shelf on the notches cut into the support pieces.

22256373804_cc9b0f5441_c.jpg

Between the half lap joints and the screws, this will be extremely strong.

I attached a 1x4 pine board across the back of the unit, and used more 1x pine boards to make the vertical dividers. The notch in the short piece attaches to the board across the back of the unit, and I sized the pieces so that the longer piece makes a 60º angle with the bottom shelf. 

22853168156_f37a07187a_c.jpg

I glued the two pieces together, hooked the notch underneath the back board, and screwed it into place. Another screw locked the front of the divider in place. I also screwed some scrap pieces of 1x pine in line with the dividers, so whatever I store there won’t slide out from underneath.

22460781567_0370e88ffd_c.jpg

And here it is all loaded up. The only thing that isn’t in this unit is the main grate, which is sitting inside Smaug right now.

22691131480_ae64b193ce_c.jpg

On the bottom shelf from left to right are the searing grate, the baking stone, the drip pan, the heat deflector stone, an empty slot for the main grate, , the upper grate, and parts for the basket splitter.

I think it turned out pretty well. This is surprisingly strong while still being lightweight. Given how much room there is under the top shelf, I think I could have made it a little shorter. Luckily, the design of this storage unit will make it easy to take off the top shelf and cut down the vertical supports if I want to.

Definitely have been thinking about this since I saw the post on Guru. Going to incorporate an idea like this for the 2 KK stands. Because of the height differences and since I want both dome hinge lines at the same height ...... I could store Cassiopeia grates under Prometheus and visa versa. Glad I didn't start that project this weekend. Your post was great timing.

Definitely have been thinking about this since I saw the post on Guru. Going to incorporate an idea like this for the 2 KK stands. Because of the height differences and since I want both dome hinge lines at the same height ...... I could store Cassiopeia grates under Prometheus and visa versa. Glad I didn't start that project this weekend. Your post was great timing.

Before you get going on this project, I have one word of advice: prototype. Get some cheap 2x2’s and nail them together to figure out your design, layout, and dimensions. Do it two or three or four times if you have to. That saves you a lot of time and grief in the long run.

Poochie, if you only knew how on target you are. Wilbur is an artist in wood. I've seen some of his work and it's truly world class.

Wilbur, please post the URL to your woodworking website. We'd all love to see it.

Geez, Ken, you’re embarrassing me. ^_^

Here’s my blog that’s primarily about Japanese woodworking tools: http://giantcypress.net .

And here’s a picture of probably the best thing I’ve built so far. It’s a variation on an 18th century Bible box, which was a common household item in the 1700’s for people who lived in the Pennsylvania area. It’s made out of walnut, with an applied walnut burl veneer on the front.

9619480358_627dc64aec_c.jpg

Geez, Ken, you’re embarrassing me. ^_^

Here’s my blog that’s primarily about Japanese woodworking tools: http://giantcypress.net .

And here’s a picture of probably the best thing I’ve built so far. It’s a variation on an 18th century Bible box, which was a common household item in the 1700’s for people who lived in the Pennsylvania area. It’s made out of walnut, with an applied walnut burl veneer on the front.9619480358_627dc64aec_c.jpg

Thanks, Wilbur! I do appreciate it. I had no intention of embarrassing you. When anyone has a skill as refined as is yours, there should be no embarrassment in sharing, especially with your KK Family!

Before you get going on this project, I have one word of advice: prototype. Get some cheap 2x2’s and nail them together to figure out your design, layout, and dimensions. Do it two or three or four times if you have to. That saves you a lot of time and grief in the long run.

Good idea - that is why I decided to set them up on blocks first so I could get a real world idea of the dimensions. I was just going to put a shelf under each stand and stack the grates but your idea makes so much more sense.

I'm only marginally acceptable with my wood working skills but I should be able to make something reasonably nice and functional.

Your Bible box looks really nice. Way better than my skill set but here is probably the top of my skills - A picture frame curio to hold a few fossils. Made out of various pine molding pieces. I used "Antique Brass" hardware to make up for my lack of skills but I did do a dowl pined hinge. Fortunately the fossils are kewl enough nobody is really looking at the frame - LOL.

b19f6d95eb445fbcbb9bc0d30391927b.jpg

833223b3595812d7592de50f738f115f.jpg

97f2f8222088a7cf79d2a4c1f0eeb733.jpg