Poochie

Stainless Steel Boat Paddle

While cleaning the ash out of your Komodo, one step is to grab the handles of the coal basket and give it a shake or two to dislodge the ashes from the lump. During this procedure, I usually get an ash cloud that heads straight for my muzzle. This paddle, sold at Academy, does the trick by simply stirring the lump without having to bend down with your face in it. Then lift the basket out and clean out the ash your favorite way.

Here's it is next to some 12" tongs

post-2487-0-25692600-1447327277_thumb.jp

And now to show how long the handle is:

post-2487-0-57973600-1447327281_thumb.jp

For around $18, you can't beat it: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/king-kooker-36-stainless-steel-stirring-paddle?repChildCatid=140556

There's a style of shop dust mask that's soft fabric, held on with velcro straps. Very comfortable. I wouldn't use it at a Superfund site, but I always grab the mask along with  a 4" painting brush, to work the ash top-down off every surface. To continue the painters theme, I then brush the ash out the front ash door into a waiting plastic painters tray liner. I dump the ashes into an empty charcoal bag, where I also store the tray. When I open a new bag, the tray migrates and the oldest bag is discarded. Ritual makes arbitrarily complex chores seem easy.

I deliberately stop myself at 98% clean or so, considering what the future has in store.

There's a style of shop dust mask that's soft fabric, held on with velcro straps. Very comfortable. I wouldn't use it at a Superfund site, but I always grab the mask along with  a 4" painting brush, to work the ash top-down off every surface. To continue the painters theme, I then brush the ash out the front ash door into a waiting plastic painters tray liner. I dump the ashes into an empty charcoal bag, where I also store the tray. When I open a new bag, the tray migrates and the oldest bag is discarded. Ritual makes arbitrarily complex chores seem easy.

I deliberately stop myself at 98% clean or so, considering what the future has in store.

+1^!  

I don't have any breathing problems after over 20 years of kamado cooking, but a dear friend who is a pulmonologist suggested that I wear a mask when working around my kamados just to be on the safe side.  I use Beauty! and TheBeast about 5-6 times per week on average.  I use 3M masks available at any Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc.  Better safe than sorry.

I use my Neti pot after any activity kicking up charcoal dust (opening new bag of charcoal, dumping out the fines in the bottom of the charcoal bin, cleaning out the KK). Works great. I now understand how coal miners end up with Black Lung!

I've used a neti pot a few times - totally freaked my son out. Either way no matter what I do with the KK it's nothing compared to riding the motorcycle all day long - I won't even get into the details as this is a food/cooking forum - LOL