MacKenzie

Donair Meat for Donairs

Wilbur, it sounds similar to a Romanian sausage called Mititei - ground lamb and pork cooked on a kebab, but served in a bun with spicy mustard like a hot dog/brat. 

The stacks of thin meat on the vertical rotisserie I know as shawarma. It can come in either chicken or beef/lamb and is seasoned similar to gyro, but the texture is different. 

It’s probably regional variations on terms. Most of the Middle Eastern restaurants around here are owned and run by Turkish people. In addition, the term “gyro†meant something different in Chicago, where I grew up, compared to what a gyro is here in New Jersey.

That looks delicious, MacKenzie! Wish I could have stopped by for a sample.

Around here, gyros are a bit different. Instead of ground meat, there are many many thinly sliced pieces of lamb and beef put on a skewer, and the whole thing is directly cooked. You slice off the outside as it gets cooked, working your way towards the middle.

Ground lamb formed into a roundish lump is called adana, and are usually smaller than the donair MacKenzie made, about the size of a cocktail wiener. They are then threaded on a skewer, and grilled, so if I wanted this I would order an adana kebab.

Yes! Adana is one of my favorites. With the right spice mix and not overcooked it's the best kebab.

Regards,

Oliver

In Singapore. Soon to be the proud owner of a Cobalt Blue 32 😄

Hi MacKenzie, not this time!  Because I went the way of a more traditional gyro, i decided on keeping it Greek...its what the family was wanting/expecting.  But I want to make the more East Coast Donair next week and when I do, then I'll be making that sauce.  It has me intrigued!!