tomahawk66

Now the real journey begins... My KK story

Oliver - you've got your priorities straight. Happy wife, happy life. You've waited this long, a couple more days won't matter…MUCH! ;)

I really do love that pic of the reflection on the wall. I've never seen that before. Really kewl.

Keep up with the unpacking inside, and occasionally, when you need a break, mosey outside and pull the packing off a heat deflector or two.

Right... It's on for tomorrow ! I will do the burn in, and at various stages cook lunch and dinner on the KK! I have a day waiting for an IKEA furniture delivery and contractors to fix up the last couple of things in the house so it should be perfect! I'll start by taking photos of all the huge number of accessories and parts that came with her (it's insane: I need a bigger outside storage for it all!!) and then photos of the burn in with the odd sausage, chicken, steak, veggie simple cook.

I'll then start a new thread as I plan for the first "real cook" to be a skin on 7lbs pork shoulder and I need advice!!

Oliver, In Singapore. Cobalt Blue 32

Thanks all for your patience! What a day! Running around trying to get things done today while doing the burn in/venting. Only two tiles pushed up and vented a little. Held her at 500F for about 5/6 hours.

Here are the picks:

5d4e3de55934742e28cb3d7ca9852416.jpg

Charcoal basket (huge!!)

6268d12fb514f4251f7e50ea1f30845f.jpg54b92286f1cfd3855bda2b7b1630dfc2.jpg

6 kgs of charcoal from my local butcher

I haven't a clue how to fill the basket so just did a cross hatch pattern...

d781b4bc9108434dd2119e59cda14d70.jpg

Any advice for a newbie?

Then on bringing the temp up slowly until stabilizing at 500F

62cbe6926b5f681278b33616a93d757c.jpg

Grill grabers are beautiful, sitting on top of part of the huge deflector: speaking of which... Should this sit on top of the fire box when in use? Or on the Lower grate?

f0a45a2e7be92657e7b136ab666379ea.jpg

This is the Lower grate:

65af2941a4aa57f762d8fa5c44648951.jpg

Just some sausages and corn for a late lunch (yeah... I realized that this is not the best set up but the half moon grill was handy!)

64c6a0815518586fd2effd8424c86434.jpgbb4b83504e9ffb28fce79bea70966d95.jpg6381caf331bb95a446aab892d7163a10.jpg

(We still haven't unpacked the boxes so no plates or cutlery...)

Then this big ribeye was sitting in the fridge with salt on for dinner. Yeah, 500 is the wrong temp for a reverse sear! But it actually came out super tasty but not medium rare, more like a moist medium well.

5d144452fc386d336c8c648487aead0f.jpgbfd3f1476bd428ff8101b773671e9e88.jpg

And the moneysho... Doh! Wife and I were hungry, didn't take photos of the veggies (portobello mushrooms and asparagus grilled) or the plated meal... By the time I got the camera out this was all that was left...

dd16982688c2075ec1a903ca54a18d9b.jpg

Great fun but crazy day... Had furniture delivered, washing machine installed, toilet fixed, outdoor fans put up, lighting wired up... And got time for the burn in!

After 7 hours we had to call it a night. All the smell was gone and no tiles were lifting or venting so I shut down the top damper and closed all the vents. Still got some charcoal left in there after all that time!

Very impressed with how the KK holds temperature, it held at 500 for a couple of hours between cooks: I checked it multiple times but it was rock steady the whole time. As it was coming up to temp it was amazing to see how quickly it reacts to the slightest turn of the damper or change in the vents.

This was the first time for me, not only using the KK but any Kamado cooker and I can't wait to cook on it "for real" with this pork shoulder on Christmas Day!!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! It's certainly going to be a learning curve for me and I'll be looking to you all for advice and support and repay you in photos and a meal if you are ever in Singapore!

Speaking of advice... What's the proper way to use the 4 piece deflector? Directly on the firebox?

It's actually two sets Oliver

The first set is rounded and used for traditional low and slow. So there is a gap all the way around the stones. The heat will equally distribute.

The second set of stones are squared off. They are used directly in the middle and cover wall to wall front to back. No space at the front or back. Only space lleft to right. These are for larger cuts of meat that you don't want to burn or dry out the ends. The heat will rise from left to right.

There is a bracket that clamps onto the charcoal basket handles. This bracket is what you rest the stones on.

I just learned that this week

Awesome, I spent about 5 years going 6 weeks on, 2 weeks off to Singapore. Great spot for ex-pats. People are friendly and hilarious, and a great mix of cultures.

That rental is a diamond, I know what it's like there!

Loving it so far!

And yes, the old houses in Chip Bee gardens are great, but I had to put in some cash to get it set up. I'm planning long term so didn't mind too much!