mk1

Chuck Roll Weekend

I will expound a bit. The moistness and the texture of the meat is perfectly balanced. It's not as lean and dry as the flat on a brisket nor as fatty as the point. You get the rub all over the meat. On a brisket you don't get any rub on the internal surface of the flat nor the point, so when you split them, that surface of those two pieces is rub free. On the other hand it is a thick piece of meat so there is plenty of internal non smoked, non barked meat. I cooked it at 300 for the duration, it came out superb. How would it come out hotter and faster or lower and slower? You would have to experiment. Which I suggest you do...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mguerra said:

I will expound a bit. The moistness and the texture of the meat is perfectly balanced. It's not as lean and dry as the flat on a brisket nor as fatty as the point. You get the rub all over the meat. On a brisket you don't get any rub on the internal surface of the flat nor the point, so when you split them, that surface of those two pieces is rub free. On the other hand it is a thick piece of meat so there is plenty of internal non smoked, non barked meat. I cooked it at 300 for the duration, it came out superb. How would it come out hotter and faster or lower and slower? You would have to experiment. Which I suggest you do...

Thats great information.  I'm going to have to see if I can get it from my butcher.  I'm definitely going to give this a try, thank you for introducing me to a new cut.