ckreef

KK Ash Experiment - 19" TT

Here was my problem with brushing the ash out of the front;  Before I started using the shop vac, I would take the lid from the trash can that I was using to store my lump, flip it over like a big dish, and slide it under the grill.  Then I would remove the front door, and brush all the ash out into the lid.  What always happened is that I would 1) end up with ash up to my elbow, and usually a black smudge or two on my arms from reaching way down in the belly of the beast, and  2) that ash would puff and make a cloud as it fell out into the pile, and that cloud would stick all over my legs and feet.

So i switched to the vac, and now I just stick the hose down in there.  Since I only have to do it a few times a year, rinsing the vac isn't too big a deal.  The vac I use is just a little 2.5Gal - I've considered getting a new one and dedicating the existing one to the grill - so no more rinsing.  But again...I am cheap. :D

Started thinking after reading your response......................I have the Table Top model which makes it a heck of a lot easier to reach down into.  I'm sure there is a big difference with the bigger models. 

I am guessing you guys are using a house hold vac, however what we use over here in AU is called a wet and dry vac. These things are bullet proof and are used to clean up build supply mess. Brick dust is very similar to ash, but 100x stickier to parts like the hose and inner motor and these things take care ot eh brick dust with ease. So if you are having issues with the standard store bought cleaner, best to go to your local hardware store to get one of these. They are super cheap (under $100) and if they break just throw them out and get a new one. I dont believe you will have any issues with cleaning out the filter and things like that.

Just a thought.

Yep, that's the vac we are using here too. ShopVac is a brand name, but it's the same wet/dry construction type vac you're describing.

One of the reasons that I stopped shoveling out the ashes through the front vent door was I recall a post from Dennis saying that he didn't recommend taking the door completely out, as it is designed as an interference fit. The rods can get easily sprung once removed when you try and reinsert them into the tubes and you can lose the tight seal around the door. I got the "bad dog" lecture from Dennis for tweaking the rods and not the tubes when doing an adjustment.  :smt018

I am going to admit I take my lower vent assembly out every time I fire Prometheus up. That is part of the bring to temp procedure for me on that KK. I don't have a running total but easily over 100 cooks so far. Bottom vent is as tight as the day I got it.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

The conclusion to my experiment. I currently have 27 cooks worth of ash. I probably could have squeezed 35 in but it seemed pointless. It was a kewl experiment to know you really can go for awhile on a KK without cleaning it out and performance was not effected.

After 27 cooks.

77c33f87e735e31acd70e72467960354.jpg

As promised here is a picture of the space up under the fire bowl, up against the wall. No air flows through that space so you can push all the ash you want under there.

68fb8b09df3e28b9277450d80101affe.jpg

All cleaned out.

0e678e7c2fdc572218d8de1724b7810c.jpg

A Walmart sack full of ash.

a1fbbf5e22cddafca47ae731f4e8e155.jpg

I do have another experiment or two I want to try. Will crank another one up soon.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 1