bosco

KK grate size comparison

I must say, that I am just staring at my new KKs and can't believe the build quality.  My wife says its an obsession that is bordering creepy lol.  I must say the one thing that stands out is the grates of the KK.  

i have had several people ask me "How does the 23 and 32 grates compare to the big joe size.  

I did a little research and then did a comparison photo to help you understand the size of both the 23" and 32".

The one really cool feature is that the 23" come with 3 grates and the 32" comes with 4 grates.  

I am very satisfied with getting the 32".  At first I was reluctant as I thought that it was too big, however, Dennis assured me that is was a grillers grill.  It is a lot bigger than the big joe, but it is not crazy in size!!  I will love filling the main grate up with full meals!!

The breakdown is as follows 

24" Big Joe

452 sq" Main grate included on delivery (standard)

271 sq" (60% more grilling) expander rack not included on delivery

723 sq" total grilling space 

23" Ultimate 

329 sq" Lower grate

375 sq" Main grate

274 sq" Upper grate

978 sq" Total grilling space included on delivery  (standard)

post-2504-0-60938500-1449947067_thumb.jp

32" Big Bad

544 sq" Lower grate

576 sq" Main grate

418 sq" Upper grate

288 sq" half grate

1,538 sq" Total grilling space included on delivery  (standard)

post-2504-0-17766800-1449947084_thumb.jp

The breakdown is as follows 

24" Big Joe

452 sq" Main grate included on delivery

271 sq" (60% more grilling) expander rack not included on delivery

723 sq" total grilling space

Bosco, do you have the Big Joe expander rack? I think you might be a little generous in the expander rack size. I remember seeing the Big Joe expander rack, and to my memory, the KK 23†upper grate was bigger.

On the Kamado Joe website, they don’t specify how many square inches the expander rack is. The Big Joe spec sheet says this:

Dimensions ........................... 50 in Wide x 54 in High x 31 in DeepCooking Surface .................. 24 in Diameter/452 sq inw/Grill Expander .................. XXX square inches

The ad copy for the KJ grill expander says this:

Add up to 60% more cooking surface to your grill with the Kamado Joe Grill Expander.

That “up to 60% more†seems a bit deliberately vague to me. Why not just state the area of the grill expander? My guess is that the 60% more grill space may apply to the KJ Classic, since it’s easier to be 60% more of a smaller grate than a bigger grate.