tinyfish

Short ribs and mashed potatoes

Those short ribs look amazing. Beef ribs are one thing I haven’t tried yet, and I’m hoping my first attempt will be half as good as this dish!

Just for future reference, what temperature did you use, and how long did it take your ribs to cook?

Wilbur i seen you with your back rib cooks. You will have no problem with beef ribs.

I cook mine the same as baby backs, indirect at 225f dome, the only difference is beef ribs take a couple hours longer. I plan for 6 hours or so when I cook mine. The beef ribs have more fat to render and break down.

Tony - I'm flat on my back with a bad cold. Do you deliver to OKC? Those ribs would surely prove to be the balm that soothes my ravaged throat! Beautifully done. Kudos! (especially if you deliver to ChezChef)

Ken are you working yourself too hard? If I recall you had a bad chest cold a short time ago. Rest up and get well.

Ken are you working yourself too hard? If I recall you had a bad chest cold a short time ago. Rest up and get well.

Yeah Tony, you are right. I've been spending time talking to large crowds lately, gripping and grinning. That's never a good thing. Exposure to too many people with too many germs. I'll survive. I've got to stop this speaking thing.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Hope this finds you and yours warm and well!

Tony, those look great buddy.  A question about the coffee char...do they actually give off 'coffee' smoke? or are they just the heat source?

Hi Rak I hope you are doing better.

I used coffee wood chunks and not the coffee wood char. If I'm correct you should get some flavor from the coffee wood charcoal since its made with coffee wood.

I like coffee wood chunks it gives food a nice flavor. Its is a milder flavor then you wood expect.

Tony, those look great buddy. A question about the coffee char...do they actually give off 'coffee' smoke? or are they just the heat source?

No - not coffee under tones - a nice subtle smoke but not coffee. Just like Apple tree lump won't taste like apples.

Same applies to smoking wood chunks. Peach tree smoking wood doesn't smell (or taste) like peaches. Same holds true across the board in both smoking chunks and lump.

One day I'm going to make a foil pouch filled with coffee beans (put onto hot coals) and see/taste what happens.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Thank you both.  

Tony - Feeling much better thanks!  Today was a pizza day, but only had 2 small slices, but still, it hit the spot!  I've always said, cooking is therapy for me!

Charles - I like the idea of the coffee beans, although lately, i've been using expresso as part of my rubs...so coffee smoke is probably redundant. 

Rak

Thank you both.

Tony - Feeling much better thanks! Today was a pizza day, but only had 2 small slices, but still, it hit the spot! I've always said, cooking is therapy for me!

Charles - I like the idea of the coffee beans, although lately, i've been using expresso as part of my rubs...so coffee smoke is probably redundant.

Rak

I use espresso in rubs on occasion too but the coffee beans would make a kewl experiment. Next Low-n-slow I'll give it a try and report back the results.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Thank you both.  

Tony - Feeling much better thanks!  Today was a pizza day, but only had 2 small slices, but still, it hit the spot!  I've always said, cooking is therapy for me!

Rak

Hey Rak,  There is a long time member on the Primo forum (MacKenzie will vouch for him) that owns a BBQ store in Texas.  Fantastic BBQ chef!!!! Second only to MacKenzie on that site. He is also a coffee expert.  He makes his own coffee bbq rub.

">http://http://s1013.photobucket.com/user/BeesWacker/media/elmerfud-and-bugs_7487.jpg.html'>elmerfud-and-bugs_7487.jpg

Edited by Jon B.