bosco

Wow!!

So I am cooking in about 2 hours so I figured I would get going on heating my 23 up. I assumed with the mass that I would need to really let it heat up for a while to get to temp.

I set the bottom left damper 180 degrees open and turned the top open 3 spins.

In 10 min (lighting in two places) I reached 310 degrees.

I just adjusted the vents as I will try and find a happy place for 375.

I am in shock!!!!!!! My jr. Doesn't even heat up that quick

Yep, Bosco, you're going to have to re-learn some things with the KK - air flow control is the biggest and most important. I've owned mine for several years now and don't consider myself as having mastered it. Ambient temps, windy conditions, rain, all impact it. It's almost an organic thing. You have to feel your way through it. I'm an Engineer, so while I'm used to empirical solutions, I'd rather have hard rules/conditions to guide me. Probably why I decided to swap out my original draft vent door (single dial), with the new dual dial system. Still don't have the hang of this dang thing yet - frustrating at times! So, what I'm saying buddy, is hang in there. Practice makes .... is so true of learning to cook on the KK.  

I can routinely get Smaug from unlit to 600ºF in 15 minutes or less. What you’re seeing is the increased efficiency of a KK grill compared to your KJ grills in action. ^_^

If you need to heat soak, you will have to wait longer than you’re used to as well. For low and slow cooks, or indirect cooks like duck at 375ºF, I’ll let Smaug go for an hour.

You will also probably need to get used to smaller vent settings than you’re used to as well. These vent settings might seem ridiculously small — for low and slows, I’ll have the bottom vent open only 1/8†or so for a target temperature of 200-250ºF. But they work. Again, that’s the KK grill’s efficiency in action.

For future reference, here’s what I do to get Smaug to a given setting.

High heat/steak searing cooks: Light a full basket of charcoal in as many locations as I can, with the bottom vent fully open. Leave the lid up for 5 minutes. Use tongs to spread out the lit charcoal lumps over the top layer as evenly as possible. Place my grates in, close the lid, and open the top vent as much as possible. After 10 minutes, I should be able to hit 500ºF or more, which makes 15 minutes altogether.

Low and slow cooks: Light a full basket of charcoal in just one spot, with the bottom vent open about 1/8â€. Leave the lid up for 5 minutes. Place the deflector and grates in, close the lid, and open the top vent as much as needed for my target temperature. Here’s where spending an afternoon calibrating your vent settings really helps. For Smaug, for 250ºF, it’s 1/4 of a turn or less. For 300ºF, it’s 1/2 turn, and the bottom vent open about 1/4â€. For 350ºF, it’s 1 turn. Your settings will probably be close, but different. Wait 15 minutes, and see where the grill settles out at, and adjust vents as needed. Heat soak for 1 hour.

Ryan - you've just begun to understand the KK experience. There is some much more to discover about your KK and knowing you, you'll get it quickly! You're about to have some kind of fun over the next few months. And with your inimitable style, you'll take us along for the journey. And we will have fun with you. I'm looking forward to a lot more of your OMG posts!

I too agree with everything posted. Getting the inside temp up is quick but fully heat sinked is a good bit more time. Low and slow vent settings are really small. The top vent being open only about 1/4 turn for 225*. That took me a few Low-n-slow cooks to wrap my brain around that.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I just love how my heat soaked KKs cook so even,y and radiate that heat all over the cook. It's especially good for pizzas!

I've found that an hour is generally good enough to get me to where I want to be. On really cold days here in OKC, I've learned that maybe 15 more works well, but it's gotta be down in the low double digits.

Ryan, have you seen how all that thermal mass of your 23" or your 32" really stabilizes temps during a cook?

Oh yeah, Bosco, these babies get rip-roaring hot in no time.  I started my 23" up the other day and opened the vents wide open, planning to return 10-15min later to adjust.  I got side tracked and when I finally made it back to the grill, the needle was burried all the way around, reading 0F.  And climbing.  The temp came down fast once I turned the vents down.

I was kicking myself, but I don't think I hurt anything.  Lesson learned.

Oh yeah, Bosco, these babies get rip-roaring hot in no time.  I started my 23" up the other day and opened the vents wide open, planning to return 10-15min later to adjust.  I got side tracked and when I finally made it back to the grill, the needle was burried all the way around, reading 0F.  And climbing.  The temp came down fast once I turned the vents down.

I was kicking myself, but I don't think I hurt anything.  Lesson learned.

You might want to check the calibration on your thermometer now that you over-ranged it. I did the exact same thing on one of my first high temp sears and my dial thermometer was a good 30F off afterwards.

Easily resets - loosen the nut on the back, stick it in boiling water and see how far off you are. Grip the stem with a pair of pliers and turn the dial accordingly to get back to 212F. Then, carefully tighten up the nut with the pliers, while holding the dial steady. Stick it back in the boiling water to recheck it. Repeat, if needed.

You might want to check the calibration on your thermometer now that you over-ranged it. I did the exact same thing on one of my first high temp sears and my dial thermometer was a good 30F off afterwards.

Easily resets - loosen the nut on the back, stick it in boiling water and see how far off you are. Grip the stem with a pair of pliers and turn the dial accordingly to get back to 212F. Then, carefully tighten up the nut with the pliers, while holding the dial steady. Stick it back in the boiling water to recheck it. Repeat, if needed.

Good tip, Tony!  Thank you