Firemonkey

Best mileage out of $7 ever

I bought a package of these silicone "rubber" bands on a whim in Sept 2012. 

http://www.amazon.com/Architec-Stretch-Cooking-Package-Assorted/dp/B000RODBZK

They've been one of the best $7 I have ever spent on a kitchen trinket.  Not only in the kitchen, but in the shed too.  Sometimes I need a rubber band to hold things shut, and rubber dries out and crumbles in short order around here.   These things are still good as new after years.

In the kitchen, their typical use is to truss a chicken, like they did tonight.  Simple roasted chicken with carrots and potatoes.  I slid a screen of asparagus on the main grate underneath the chicken for the last 10 mins of the cook.  I've used the same 1 or two bands scores of times - just put them in the dishwasher after use.

post-83-0-59827900-1450402111_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-49899000-1450402113_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-16193600-1450402115_thumb.jpg

Amazon says I purchased them in sept 2012. I've used the same one probably 30 times on chickens on the grill. At least I think it was the same one, I can't really tell the used vs unused apart after it gets washed and put back in the package. I just grab the red one on top each time. Most of them haven't been used yet, because I've never broken one.

The ones I used in the garage, holding plastic boxes of toggles/fasteners closed after the snaps broke off the plastic are still stretchy, and not dry rotted at all, and it's been a couple of years stretched around the boxes.

As long as you don't put them in direct flame, I think the biggest hazard to them is cutting them off the food like twine, out of habit. I almost did it tonight before I stopped myself.