ckreef

SV Fried Chicken

That was homemade sauce, Charles. I admit that I wimped a bit and started with ketchup (usually just start with tomato paste), so I added a bit of tomato juice to cut the sweetness (I've also used Bloody Mary mix in the past, but be careful about its high salt content). Then add jarred grated horseradish, Old Bay, wasabi powder, Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic paste, and gochugiang (Korean fermented bean and chile paste) (Instead of the last 2 items, you can use Sriracha sauce). Mix and let it set for several hours for the flavors to blend. 

OK, back on track with this thread. Did another batch of SV fried chicken for dinner tonight. Plus, I tried doing the green beans in the SV, too. Took some juggling, as they aren't done anywhere near the same temps. Chicken was @ 148F, green beans @ 183F. And, to top it off, I had to juggle cooks between the SV circulator and the electric skillet (where I fried the chicken) to keep the breaker from tripping. 

post-975-0-50905200-1454462708_thumb.jpg

Like I said previously, will never fry chicken any other way from now on. No more worries about burning the crust trying to get the chicken fully cooked.

The green beans suffered from the juggling act. They only got to stay in the SV bath for 20 minutes active, then another 20 minutes soaking, as I had to plug in the skillet to heat up to fry the chicken. They were a bit crunchy. Still tasty, but I'll reserve judgement on SV veggies for another time when I can do it right. 

Thanks.

I thought that the electrician separated the counter outlets onto different circuits during my full kitchen remodel a few years ago. I know that he added several new circuits, but one was for the under cabinet lights and the new recessed spots over the sink and another for the over the cook-top microwave/vent hood. I thought all the new outlets on the opposite side of the kitchen were on a separate circuit, but that's where my counter-top convection oven is, and I've popped the breaker several times when it was on while the Anova (or my deep fryer) was running across the room. So, now I have to stagger all the bigger electrical loads from running at the same time. PITA.