tomahawk66

Skin on 7lbs boneless pork shoulder roast - first real cook on "Big Blue" - advice needed!

Ok guys & gals: I'm doing the burn in tomorrow and will probably through a couple of things on to grill while that's going on (don't want to waste those BTUs!!)

But my first real cook will be a 7lbs boneless pork shoulder with the skin on for Christmas lunch (photos to come) I aim to get crazy good cracklings - this is vital and expected from the Australian and British folks it'll feed as well as super moist meat and a gravy (will deglaze the drip pan with white wine a teaspoon of mustard and then stir in a little butter after). I plan to salt the shoulder roast 24 hours before hand and start early on Christmas Day to hit a late lunch. Thinking simple salt and pepper rub maybe a little oregano: I want it to be all about the pork.

No smoking wood this time as the goal is a roast flavor.

Now I need advice on set up, dome temp, rough timing and target internal temp (I'll then need to load it up into a cooler and take it on the 5-8 min drive to my friends place)

Any ideas?

Oliver, In Singapore. Cobalt Blue 32

Thanks Tiny & Tony!

I'm thinking simple salt dry brine 24 hours before, then garlic and pepper just before going on the KK at 250-275. I'm not sure if I'll put it on a rack with deflector and drip pan or just use the double walled drip pan with a rack over it?

I'll need to do this at 5 am or so to make sure it'll be done in time for Christmas lunch...

Oliver, In Singapore. Cobalt Blue 32

Do you want the skin to turn out crispy, or does it not matter?

Edit: never mind, saw what you wrote about the cracklings.

Whatever your planned cooking start time is, I’d add in another hour for lighting the grill and letting it stabilize and heat soak. This was counterintuitive for me when I first started using Smaug, but it takes less time to heat up the grill for a hot and fast cook like steak than it does for a low and slow cook. 

The other thing is the skin. The low and slow will leave the skin cooked, but not crispy. You’re going to have to do something about that if you want crispy skin. Either slice off the skin and cook it separately at the end, or take out your deflectors at the end, let the grill heat up to a higher temperature, and finish cooking the outside like a reverse sear. Again, you’re going to need to build in extra time for this.

The single best piece of setup advice I could give you when using a drip pan: Make sure there is at least 3 inches of space between the liquid and meat, allowing air to circulate on the underside of the roast. I had a few soggy bottom roasts early on as a result of steam and no airflow under the meat. Worth a read, even if not a turkey cook: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html#pans

With a big roast, this may be difficult, but for pork belly, once finished in the KK, I flip it over with fat cap down in hot oil to get the crackling you are after....just a quick fry.