EGGARY

Please share

I have been thinking about Prime Rib a lot and the "science" of cooking it.  Yes I have cooked a few but after I cooked one this past Tuesday and cooked as per the Thermapen Viideo I have somequestions.  One of my concerns is with the size and at a particular cooking temp, how much time would it take to cook a Prime Rib at a particular internal temp..  In the video it said it took 4 hours to cook an 8 lb. Prime Rib. at 200 cooking temp.

So this is what I am looking for and I feel it would be good information for the Forum.  For those of you who are cooking Prime Ribs for the Holidays, if you can, please share how your cooks went, like how big was your Prime Rib, what was the cooking temp, what was the internal temp(s) you were shooting for, how long it took to get to the temp you were shooting for, and if you did anything special in your cooks.   

Like I have said before, my concern is wanting to know how much time to allow to cook a Prime Rib and timing it as best as possible.

A very Merry Christmas to everyone !

My prime rib cook from last year was a 8-9 lb. prime rib roast. I cooked it at 200ºF, and ramped up the temp to 250ºF at the end for a total of 6 hours of cooking. The target temp was 120ºF, and then I seared the outside. This prime rib had the bones on, which is important, as a boneless prime rib will cook faster.

All the details are here: http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/5080-post-christmas-prime-rib-roast/

Consider this .......... For the science of it all........

Let's say you have a roast that is 6" in diameter and 8" long. The closest distance for the heat to get to the center is half the diameter (half of 6" = 3" for the closest distance to center). Now this is with a 6" diameter 8" long roast. If you had a 6" diameter 16" long roast your weight would be about double but the closest distance to center is still only 3".

Time calculations by weight alone becomes somewhat useless as with the above scenario the longer roast being twice the distance is not going to take twice the time to cook. The longer roast will probably take a little longer to cook but that has to do with more meat mass pulling heat out of the kamado not actually being double in weight or double in length. Shortest distance to center is what really counts.

Also probably not that much longer going low-n-slow with a fully heat soaked situation. Also boneless or with the bones attached will definitely make a difference as Wilburpan mentions.

Just something to consider.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Edited by ckreef

I bought a 6 bone 14 lb. standing rib roast.

Removed 2 bones from the end and had roughly 10 lb for the big cook.

Removed the bones and reattached and tied back on.

Used a mix of fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper and coated the roast with Dijon mustard. M

Cooked on rotisserie direct heat 350 for 3 hours. Pulled with an IT of 120 degrees. Let rest foil wrapped in cooler for 1 hour while waiting for turkey to finish.

Turned out spectacular!!!!