ckreef

Rak's Gyro - a Rotisserie Improvement

I tried to get in on that one the first day tony, but they "sold out" in like hours so I missed it. Love the copper played ones, just going to have to buy one at full price when they finally are in full production swing.

I'll let you know how well I like mine when it come, so you can decide if you really want one at "full price." I toyed with the copper option, but kept it simple being my first Kickstarter. If I like mine, I might order the 128 oz (double growler) one in copper. 

Charles, where did you light the fire for this cook? For the gyro you had it to one side, was this more centered? I ask because in thinking with the diffuser in place you can probably fill the basket and light it anywhere. Would that be correct?

For both cooks I lit the fire dead center. The Gyro the fire burned towards the left and by the time the KK was heat soaked at 350* or so the fire was far left. Exactly opposite for the chicken. Lit in the center but the fire burned towards the right.

This situation is what the diffuser solves. You never know the path that the fire will take. On low-n-slow cooks the lit coals doesn't move that fast but for 350*-400* the fire will almost always burn away from center where you started it.

Here is a picture of the fire where it ended up under the chicken cook. Way to the right but still nice even browning.

4df869545e09288537bb190cc4123176.jpg

Here is a turkey breast prior to getting the diffuser plate. Hard to tell in the picture but the fire was to the far right. Notice how the skin was much darker to the right where the fire was. This was my final rotisserie cook without the diffuser and was the cook that sent me looking for a solution to this problem.

07322da13162313c35134ec38bbd1a2a.jpg

It wouldn't matter where you lit the fire after an hour of heat soaking at 350*-400* it's not going to be there anyway. On a 32" this is probably not as big of a problem because of the shear amount of lump the resides right where you lit the fire but still the diffuser would help.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

Too bad we all aren't as handy as Charles!🤓

It really was easy to cut and with a KK bigger than 19" it may not even need to be cut. It was just a little big for the 19".

A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and less than 10 minutes. I'm confident you could could do this modification. Don't forget safety glasses - safety first - LOL I'm a safety supervisor at work - LOL

Thanks for instilling confidence Charles. Saphira is a 19" Hi Cap Tall, so we would need to cut. We do have a deemed and some grinding wheels and of course my Sweetie has safety glasses, maybe I could supervise...hmm?😉

I cut it at 15". Mark it on one side with a sharpie. Cut the peaks on that side then flip it over and cut those peaks to complete the cut. You can then use the cutoff wheel to debur the cuts. I just cut it off one side to make the 15" length.

You'll be happy with the results. Probably Sunday I'm going to do a whole fish, direct cook and use the diffuser to spread the heat as I'll have 3 fish which will basically take up most of the main grate and I'll need even heat distribution.

Went by Lowes yesterday and they did have them (a lot actually). The box says that they are 18.25" long, so I'm going to measure my 23" to see if it will fit without modification before purchasing. All I have to cut one down is an old hacksaw. Not going to happen! 

Went by Lowes yesterday and they did have them (a lot actually). The box says that they are 18.25" long, so I'm going to measure my 23" to see if it will fit without modification before purchasing. All I have to cut one down is an old hacksaw. Not going to happen!

I made a cardboard cutout so I could get the fit where I wanted. Hind sight is 20/20, I might cut a little more off then it would also fit Prometheus