ckreef

Rak's Gyro - a Rotisserie Improvement

OK, so I went by Lowe's again and took a picture of the grate box, which has the dimensions on the cover.

post-975-0-81541800-1453413284_thumb.jpg

It's 18.25" length and 8.25" wide. So, I cut out a template and set it inside my 23" KK on the charcoal basket handles. My best guess is MAYBE it will fit without cutting, but only if running front to back. Depends on their manufacturing tolerances. But, front-to-back doesn't work for using the rotisserie. It doesn't fit going side-to-side down that low and would have to be cut. 

So, tried it on the Sear Grate. Again, MAYBE, depending on the actual size (we're talking 1/16" matters). But, it might work in either direction! It's because it's a rectangle trying to fit inside a body that has curved sides. If the material is soft enough, you might be able to get away with just hammering the corners in (a crude chamfer.)

Lastly, it will definitely fit in both directions if placed on the Lower Grate, but how effective will it be as an infrared radiator when that far from the heat source?? Maybe ckreef can answer that one based upon his experience?

Is someone brave enough to buy and try it?? 

OK, so I went by Lowe's again and took a picture of the grate box, which has the dimensions on the cover.

attachicon.gifCharbroil Grate box.jpg

It's 18.25" length and 8.25" wide. So, I cut out a template and set it inside my 23" KK on the charcoal basket handles. My best guess is MAYBE it will fit without cutting, but only if running front to back. Depends on their manufacturing tolerances. But, front-to-back doesn't work for using the rotisserie. It doesn't fit going side-to-side down that low and would have to be cut.

So, tried it on the Sear Grate. Again, MAYBE, depending on the actual size (we're talking 1/16" matters). But, it might work in either direction! It's because it's a rectangle trying to fit inside a body that has curved sides. If the material is soft enough, you might be able to get away with just hammering the corners in (a crude chamfer.)

Lastly, it will definitely fit in both directions if placed on the Lower Grate, but how effective will it be as an infrared radiator when that far from the heat source?? Maybe ckreef can answer that one based upon his experience?

Is someone brave enough to buy and try it??

Up higher it would still work as a direct heat diffuser and still burn any fat that dripped down where there are no unlit coals BUT .......

And it's a big but ...... It's main purpose was to use it for rotisserie cooks. Not sure about the bigger KK's but in the 19" it would only work during rotisserie cooks if it's down sitting on lump basket. I suspect the same holds true on the bigger KK's.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Thanks Tony and Charles for the updated information.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to cut it and even if I did, I'm about as handy as.....well, lets just say I'm not at all handy!!  Looks like I'll give this one a pass for now.

Rak,  Just bought a new cut-off grinder tool............let me know when you need/want a deflector and I'll chop one up for you!!!! 

Tony,  

"Absolutely"  (In my best Rocky Balboa voice).  

Let me known the measurement(s) and I will grab one.  I fired up the new cut off tool yesterday and it is SWEET!!!!  May be able to get it to you sooner, as I am shipping a package to my sister in Cedar Rapids.  I'll have her drop it off and you can meet the good side of the family first...........Mom always liked her best and Sister Sue loves to meet people!!!!  

Jon

Thanks, Jon! Will shoot you a PM with my address.

With the nice weather today (hey, it's finally above freezing here!), did some more measurements, based up ckreef's feedback. If we want it to fit on the handles of the full charcoal basket and be centered under the rotisserie (I eyeballed it from the holes in the KK, since I don't actually have the basket yet!), the length should only be 17" long (i.e., need to cut off 1.25 inches). No need to trim the width. This is for a 23" KK, YMMV. Folks with the BB 32" shouldn't have any problems with the grate, as is out of the box. 

I had forgotten that the KK isn't round, but teardrop shaped, so the widest part of the grill is NOT on the centerline, but slightly forward. This gave me another idea. If you don't want to cut it. If you place your basket splitter with the coals in the front half of the KK, then you should be able to cover almost all the coals and shield the rotisserie basket from direct fire.