Rak

Information please!

Yah, mon! Have some jerk chicken and bammy, with a couple of nice cold Red Stripe, for me while you're there, mon.  :smt033

Freezing rain and snow for the next 3 days followed by single digit highs and negative number lows! Long range forecast doesn't have us above freezing for at least a week. Cry me a river, Charles!  :smt089

• Like 1

On January 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM, 5698k said:

Dennis has some instructions on this process that he emails to new owners. The process is simple enough, the remaining moisture in the grout needs to be cooked off. This is done by heating the grill, starting by getting it to between 350°-400°, and letting it stay there for an hour or so. After that, raise the temp 50° or so every hour, until you either get a strong chemical smell or see a clearish liquid escaping from the grout. Stop increasing at this point. These grills are extremely well insulated, so it takes time for the outside to heat, and it's easy to get ahead of this curve. Even ambient temperature can have an effect. Patience is key here, and it's easy to get the grill hotter than necessary before the venting becomes obvious. This is an easy process, and it's certainly nothing to be overly concerned with, just be patient.

The only other thing that needs to be done with a KK, assuming you have one, is cook on it!!

Rob

Here's where I get confused. In the manual, they say "you can do as many under-400 cooks as you like" before doing the curing burn, implying that below 400 doesn't do much. Also, it says  "Because the insulation performs so well the grill needs to be heated a couple of hours at 500-525ºf before the outside gets hot enough turn the solvent to vapor.". It took two hours at 500-525 for me to notice any vapor at all, although things then progressed faster than I would have liked. I am patching the grout in over a dozen places today!

I read your burn in post, and it appears that yours was fairly normal, and you did everything exactly right. After you do your patches, and one or two more hi heart cooks, it sounds like you'll be done with that part. There are folks on this forum that didn't even realize that tiles were lifted on their grills for several cooks, the tiles were in the back of the grill. Once spotted, he punctured the grout, the gas escaped, the tiles laid down and now there's no evidence of tile issues at all.

If you have any questions, doubts, or concerns, ask away, we're all here to help, but always, feel free to call Dennis, he'll answer any questions you may have.

Rob