croadie

36 hours and counting

Hi - I'm taking delivery Tuesday morning of a new 23 matte blue/black pebble.

I'm living in Portland and had never cooked with charcoal until 3 years ago when i brought a cheap komodo - which actually has done a great job - Turkey for Christmas, Pizza, Ribs, lamb legs , fish, even bread in a cast iron 'oven', 

Very excited - I appreciate things done well and this certainly seems to be one - I remember seeing the site when I first got into this style of cooking. Originally from New Zealand - hence the long delay to have my eyes opened.

Hope to post pic's etc as it arrives, provided the excitement isn't too great.

Any do's or don'ts - other than cook up a storm and don't hold back???

Great forum by the way, nice to see the support - why though is it mainly guy's - is it a pyromania thing??? : :occasion5:

Croadie

Great forum by the way, nice to see the support - why though is it mainly guy's - is it a pyromania thing??? : :occasion5:

Croadie

Welcome aboard.

In general it does seem to be a guy thing. The whole cooking outside and cooking with fire. This forum has a higher than normal percent of women who cook on kamados. MacKenzie, PRippley, and skreef. I know in Mrs skreef's case she wouldn't be cooking on a kamado if I would have gotten one of the big 3 ceramic Kamados just because of the shear weight of the dome. With KK's there is no effort in opening them so they are not very intimidating.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Welcome to the forum. I think traditionally BBQ has been a guys thing.... However with Kamado cooking I find more women involved now. I think it is because they are easier to use with a more set it and forget it mentality.

I love that the girls are cooking now more so on them. I personally am not a huge traditional BBQ type ie ribs, brisket butts...... I prefer grilling and taking the traditional meal and bringing it on the Kamado. The woman are bringing this more to life now and it is creating some awesome day cooks on the grill.

As for you're grill.....

Take you're time opening it. There is a ton of stuff and if you rush it the clean up will be a nightmare lol

As for removing it from the base... I would have a second pair of hands to help you push it off the pedestal that it sits on.

Other than that it is easy sailing and you will be very impressed with its beauty out of the box.

• Like 1

I know in Mrs skreef's case she wouldn't be cooking on a kamado if I would have gotten one of the big 3 ceramic Kamados just because of the shear weight of the dome. With KK's there is no effort in opening them so they are not very intimidating.

The dome lid is exactly why my wife won't go near my ceramic grills - its just too heavy for her.  With the soon arrival of the KK, I'm guessing that will change and she will join some of those wonderful female cooks on here  :)

Welcome, croadie. :) You must be so excited to be getting your KK. :) I know we will all be watching for those pixs of the unveiling. The women on the forum may be few at the moment and perhaps when more see the great cooking possibilities of the KK we will see more women here. :) Keep watching, Rak's daughter will be one of them.:)

• Like 1

Welcome, croadie. :) You must be so excited to be getting your KK. :) I know we will all be watching for those pixs of the unveiling. The women on the forum may be few at the moment and perhaps when more see the great cooking possibilities of the KK we will see more women here. :) Keep watching, Rak's daughter will be one of them. :)

Hey croadie,  

Be fore-warned the "few" ladies on this forum are unbelievable on the grill.  They can put a hurting to any "male pride" that we think we might have on our grills.

What they lack in numbers............they make up in quality!!!!! 

(one of them to look out for..............starts with Mac and ends with Kenzie)   :glasses8:

• Like 1

Congrats craodie on buying the finest kamado grill available! You'll soon find that a whole new cooking experience comes with your KK. Dennis should email a set of "instructions" to your grill, explaining some of the few details. The only thing that is unique to the KK is the burn in, which is the process of venting off residual grout moisture. Much has been written about this process, but it's really not a big deal at all. The instructions will explain everything, but my advice to go along with that is be patient.

Once your grill arrives, there are two things I like to mention. First, there are eight bolts on the legs of the crate at the bottom, remove those and the crate lifts off whole, second, the top of the crate is a ramp designed to aid in rolling the grill off the pallet. After that, take your time unpacking, there are lots of goodies inside, it's kinda like Christmas!

Always feel free to ask questions here, but as always, Dennis comes with every grill he sells!

Rob

• Like 1

Wow, thanks everyone... I 'hoped' for a comment or two - but realize now I've joined a family. With the icy snow here in portland yesterday even my 9 year old daughter was concerned that my 'grill' wouldn't arrive on time!!

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice.

I have seen some of the 'ladies' creations - and I must say it's opened my eyes to all sorts of general cooking possibilities

pressures on now to take the pic's and cook up something respectable...

Be in touch (provided the ice clears form the driveway)

Croadie

Good choice in choosing a KK. A lot of us had the same experience, owning another Kamado, and looked into Komodo Kamado. You are going to be amazed how the KK is well-built. I still look forward to firing up my KK. As you can see everyone is helpful. Ask all the questions you want.

Enjoy the journey.

Good choice in choosing a KK. A lot of us had the same experience, owning another Kamado, and looked into Komodo Kamado. You are going to be amazed how the KK is well-built. I still look forward to firing up my KK. As you can see everyone is helpful. Ask all the questions you want.

Enjoy the journey.