croadie

36 hours and counting

I use photo bucket and add the image codes to the post

bosco - Dennis would much prefer people post directly to the forum and not through 3rd party hosting companies (he's mentioned this before). On forums when people use 3rd party picture hosting, if anything happens to that account pictures are lost and then the forum has holes in it where pictures should be.

Picture holes really suck in a forum.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

That part - getting the pictures up - was exhausting.

Right - Yoda arrived today. 

everything went smoothly except freeing the little tension bolts to swing away the spring cover - that took at least 30 minutes as one was super tight.

I moved the whole thing by myself - 5'6" and 140lbs vs 23" Komodo Ultimate.

I had extra hands organised for Tuesday, but not today :/

Here we go : Thanks Jerry Yee, nice job.

5H7nNA0.jpg

there she is - excitement mounts - I created a bridge from the pallet to the first step, one down.

rKd8bbT.jpg

FKoVNkg.jpg

Now to get the lid off, these little suckers were a nightmare.

CSqfJwy.jpg

success, nice arrangement overall, just don't make the top bolts so tight.

jsFAK0b.jpg

The top resting - don't worry you'll be back together soon.

Ee4b4Gm.jpg

I modified the ramp a little to get up the next step, and pushed REALLY HARD!!!

sPFmiOb.jpg

Through the front door, down through the living room and kitchen and out to the deck.

bABnyOt.jpg

Almost back together. Big relief at this stage, time for some strong coffee...

J7xWEP1.jpg

The corrugated cardboard comes in handy as I support the lid whilst reattaching the spring at the back.

lD5uEuu.jpg

Come on baby light my fire - corny I know but it did go through a Number of Doors.

fcnZbtr.jpg

I like living with things of beauty...

GfOLip9.jpg

This certainly adds to that

no3Il7M.jpg

Hope the pic's help someone out, or inspire others to indulge.

I took it up to 500f in about 70 minutes then sat it there for 4 1/2 hours - held perfectly.

Tomorrow a cook maybe (although we're going out and the kids have a baby sitter)

Sunday Definitely!!

thanks for looking - sorry about my hissy-photo-fit

Croadie, beautiful, and I can't imagine doing the move alone but then again since you rolled it thru the living room and kitchen maybe it was best you were doing it alone. ;) You must feel very satisfied, I know I'd be smiling from ear to ear. You have a wonderful location for your KK, so close to the kitchen. Thanks for posting the arrival shots. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Congratulations, croadie. Yoda really adds to the already-lovely setting. You're gonna enjoy some serene time out there while Yoda works. Just one question... How did you lift the lid back onto the base? Seems like a lot more than I could lift. Enjoy. Geo

• Like 1

Congratulations, croadie. Yoda really adds to the already-lovely setting. You're gonna enjoy some serene time out there while Yoda works. Just one question... How did you lift the lid back onto the base? Seems like a lot more than I could lift. Enjoy. Geo

My wife wants to know as well,,, Guess I've always had a good lifting technique - though I was on tippy toes and thinking Oh Sh#@!

Out for dinner tonight with Chrissy but I've heated Yoda up again to day to do the kids fish and chips and stuffed baked apples - I won't consider that my first cook...

My wife wants to know as well,,, Guess I've always had a good lifting technique - though I was on tippy toes and thinking Oh Sh#@!

Out for dinner tonight with Chrissy but I've heated Yoda up again to day to do the kids fish and chips and stuffed baked apples - I won't consider that my first cook...

I don't know why not! That sounds pretty good to me!!

Okay = as others have experienced the first cook is a mixture of trepidation, dis-organisation, excitement, too many people looking over your shoulder, and relief. 

At the end I probably got the tastiest steak I have ever had of the grill - had rubbed it eh night before with a mix I ground up of chili=flakes, fennel seeds, sea salt, peppercorns and cardamon - i also only got a blurry photo such was the quantity of Oregon Beer and pinto noir consumed at this stage.

I also missed a pick of the roast veggies I did - parsnips and spuds, but i do have photo's of the other items - 

My sourdough - taking advice from the other post on steaming bread - I placed a deep cast iron dish on the lower grill and let it get good and hot - I boiled water in a jug separately then immediately before adding the bread poured 400ml into the pan below. That bit worked really well and it was amazing how well the steam held in Yoda as I closed it off for 10 minutes.

What did go wrong though was i added the pizza stone too late and as the grill had been waiting longer than was planned (due to being distracted at a friends place for 3 hours) - i didn't have enough charcoal left to drive the heat back fully and the bake was at a lower temperature than planned (i also suspect my thermometer is reading high). Anyway the result was a thin crust and a light loaf, but otherwise it baked nicely. I use my own sourdough starter and follow the Tartin method. It was great not having to use the dutch oven, so I'm definitely doing this again.

EPTA5nw.jpg

This photo is of the other loaf to show how well the steam worked in providing the oven spring but not 'burning ' the loaf.

WtJzVbs.jpg

I also did mushrooms on the grill, but above the pan I'd used to steam the bread, I then sweated them in a dutch oven with butter and fresh tarragon, they picked up a beautiful smokey note.

yiGPEI8.jpg

Last I grilled eggplants which slashed and marinated with a chilli, miso, sake, mirin mixture, these came about brilliantly and were devoured by our guests who had never had eggplant this way before. The trick with this is to shallow fry them initially then let them rest with the marinade on them for about 30 minutes then grill to finish to a lovely creamy texture. again I'll be doing this again for sure.

D8xqZZl.jpg

What I liked:

• I loved the different levels at which I could cook.
  • I loved the smokey flavour t that came through.
  • i loved that with a little planning you could do multiple things all for the same meal.
  • I'm very excited about the bread possibilites and things like Tart Tartin.

What I need to do better:

• Don't go drinking at a mates place for 3 hours in the middle!!
  • allow more time for the pizza stone to heat and rebalance the temperature of the grill (or ensure i have more charcoal left to ramp back up)
  • Get another grill mitt and have a slab I can put really hot stuff on right next to the grill
  • More heat, more crust.
  • Plan my levels a but better.
  • Take photo's

What i got right:

• I went with more charcoal at the outset which was just as well as I still didn't have enough
  • I think boiling the water prior to adding worked well for the steaming of the bread

Thanks everyone, This would have been a disaster if not for all the guidance available on this site.

Good job, man! 

Yeah, that baking stone will soak up a lot of heat! Takes some doing to heat that puppy up. But, you will be blown away by the results when you get it right next time! 

You're going to have to share that eggplant recipe with us - seriously! 

• Like 1