Geo

Overloaded Cooking Grid?

Saw the attached picture in the Gallery section of the KK site. Shows what I think are 4 chunks of meat... 2 on the upper grid, and 2 on the main grid. When I have cooked multiple items on my pellet grill, I've had problems getting even smoking and doneness if I don't leave quite a bit of space between items so the smoke/heat can circulate. Have you ever tried cooking two large chunks right next to each other? How did it come out? From the picture, it really looks like the cooking surfaces are overloaded!
Thanks.
Geo

post-2-0-06642000-1452167640_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-06642000-1452167640_thumb.jpg

I once cooked a 18-19 pound packer brisket on the main grate with a rib rack placed directly on top of the meat with 8 racks of baby backs for the last 6 hours and it all came out fine. maybe took an bit longer but otherwise no difference in quality. I have a pic somewhere on the forum...

Thanks for the replies. For those that can't open the picture (I can't open it now), here is the link. (It is a picture on the KK website, so no worries about opening the link.)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0360/7533/files/1908313_706738429383563_7690654397103128822_n_ed0fa96a-fd6e-438f-81e7-68e5a772835f.jpg?4592012462436639305

That is an awesome amount of meat loaded onto two grates. To think that the meat would still turn out consistently done, is amazing to me!

Thanks again.

Geo

I did eight racks of ribs in a KK 23†recently, without the aid of a rib rack. They came out great, even without rotating them.

In the picture, it looks like that’s just as the cook is getting started. I would expect that all the pork butts (at least I think they are pork butts) will shrink as the cook goes on, giving more room for air to get around them.

On the last pork butt cook we did, we placed 2 good sized butts on the upper grate of the 19" TT KK high top.  

I didn't realize it until I opened the lid but they both touched the inside of the lid.

They turned out fine but I'm not sure they had the best heat circulation know to mankind??????